Flex 6300 Transmit Audio Issues

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Solved
I'm not sure if this is a transmit problem with my Flex-6300?    I've only owned the radio for two months now so I'm a newbie when it comes to SDR.    On SSB I honestly can say I'm not happy with transmit audio so far.  I've gotten  poor audio reports saying I have a faint echo/raspy sounding audio and I've listened to the transmit audio myself  through other receivers and can confirm the poor audio quality.  It's not even close to my prior rig-FTDX-3000.  I don't run any amplifiers.   I've read through the "How to build a quiet station" info and have practiced and put to use all the things that can possibly cause RFI issues.  I have an excellent ground system and all my cables to and from the radio have mix31 ferrite on them.  It doesn't matter if I use the FRS provided hand mic or a high end Heil PR-781 or PR-22 the results are the same.   I've also tried putting a W2IHY I-box in line between the mic and the 6300.  Nothing changes.   I'm running the latest available version of SSDR. 

On the digital side using WSTJ-X  the radio performs great and I don't have any problems with stations not decoding me but I do notice some spikes which I'm not sure are normal during transmit.   I've provided a screen  shot of my station transmitting a JT-9-1 signal at aprrox 15 watts.  Do others running WSJT-X see these spikes during TX as well? 

I've noticed a few others comment on this issue with the 6300 audio and wonder if I should send the rig in to Flex for a look over?  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cal Spreitzer/N3CAL
Photo of Cal Spreitzer

Cal Spreitzer

• 326 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Cal Spreitzer

Cal Spreitzer

• 326 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
Official Response
FYI, I sent my 6300 back to Flex last week to be checked out for this issue. They received my rig on Friday and today (Monday) I just received an email from Flex confirming the issue and that the following was done by Flex Service Department:  "Applied ECO 75-1006, Ran tests, Passed tests".  I'm not exactly sure what ECO 75-1006 is but my rig is on it's way back to me.  Many thanks to Flex doing such a quick turnaround which I'm grateful for!   That's great customer service!  My best guess is that ECO 75-1006 has something to do with the radio's internal grounding.  

Cal/N3CAL 
(Edited)