fldigi + 6600M - hamlib?

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
Has anybody gotten fldigi working with the new 6400/6600 series using hamlib vs. rigcat? I see there's a Flex 6xxx option in Hamlib, but haven't had success using it. Before I go download xmls and work on the rigcat setup, I thought I'd check here.

If rigcat is the 'better' way, I'll just do this - I've only used hamlib in the past, so default to trying to use it first. I did see a rigcat tutorial on a blog post from late last year that I will attempt to follow if that's the better route to take, Hamlib just seemed more integrated/easier to configure, assuming it works.
Photo of David Orman

David Orman

• 59 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of David Salomon

David Salomon

• 100 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
David -

Look here, it may help: https://sourceforge.net/p/hamlib/mailman/message/36167703/.

73 - David, AG4F
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1138 Posts
  • 235 Reply Likes
Yes, FLDigi needs to update Hamlib to support the new radios. Good news is as Tim said, uae RigCat.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9149 Posts
  • 3467 Reply Likes
RigCat has more functionality than Hamlib.  And as an added bonus, it works regardless of the FLEX-6000 model.
Photo of David Salomon

David Salomon

• 100 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Tim -

Any idea if OmniRig will work with the Flex 6400/6600?  I have used that from within Excel to have spreadsheets control rigs.  It's very easy to use as a referenced library in VBA.  It's slower tham Hamlib, but it's also much easier to use for casual stuff.

73 - David, AG4F
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1138 Posts
  • 235 Reply Likes
Omnirig will work fine.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Larry Davis

Larry Davis

• 69 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
i run the 6700 same software for 6600  and 6400 put the b  vfo on dx station then use a to tx it,s easy to split rtty
Photo of Dan KG0AQ

Dan KG0AQ

• 28 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Has a new RigCat XML Slice file been written to work with 6400/6600? In Fldigi split mode my 6400 TX goes to receive slice even with slice B locked on TX?  Tried XML Slice A & B to no avail. Please advise. Thanks,
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9148 Posts
  • 3467 Reply Likes
The RigCat files work with all FLEX-6000s.

How are you enabling split in Fldigi?
(Edited)
Photo of Dan KG0AQ

Dan KG0AQ

• 28 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I am not configuring split in Fldigi. However, I think I solved my problem by disabling the auto switch tx slice on the smartcat serial port for Fldigi. Is there a better way? 
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9148 Posts
  • 3467 Reply Likes
OK.  Enabling "split" in a digital mode programs means something very different than working split.  There is a very specific set of CAT commands that put the radio into "split mode" and when it that mode, it processes CAT commands specifically for VFO A and FVFO B very differently.  That is why I was asking since I was not aware that Fldigi has a "split" mode of operation.
(Edited)