Can't copy PSK with 6700 and HRD

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)

I can't get good copy using HRD/DM780 and SmartSDR/6700.  The radio and HRD work well together, but PSK copy is gibberish.  I was told that my transmission is gibberish, also.  SSB and CW are fine.

I have been using HRD and a 5000A for quite some time with no problem.  If I use Fldigi or MixW with the 6700, it works well.

I have varied the DAX slider along its entire range, and tried turning off the AGC and adjusting that slider along its entire length.  I've run the sound input in DM780 from zero to overload.

What am I missing?  Using SmartSDR 1.2.17.65, and HRD 6.2.4.280.  Same problem with the last version of each.  Using Windows 7.

Help!

Rich

K5YBX

Photo of Richard Sinclair

Richard Sinclair

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Ed - NZ1Q

Ed - NZ1Q

• 76 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Official Response
Rich, here is what I've found when facing the same problem. After trying several PCs (older single and dual core), I broke down and bought a new pc with lots of horse power. My PSK is now decoding perfectly. I am convinced it was a processor speed issue.  Just a data point.
Photo of Richard Sinclair

Richard Sinclair

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Official Response
I finally got my Neal Campbell "DXer's Dream Sysem."  SmartSDR, the 6700 and HRD work perfectly together.  PSK copy is excellent and does not tax the computer at all.  So, confirmation that a duo core computer will work OK with some modes, but struggles with external programs, like DM 780.