Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can't copy PSK with 6700 and HRD

Richard Sinclair
edited June 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows

I can't get good copy using HRD/DM780 and SmartSDR/6700.  The radio and HRD work well together, but PSK copy is gibberish.  I was told that my transmission is gibberish, also.  SSB and CW are fine.

I have been using HRD and a 5000A for quite some time with no problem.  If I use Fldigi or MixW with the 6700, it works well.

I have varied the DAX slider along its entire range, and tried turning off the AGC and adjusting that slider along its entire length.  I've run the sound input in DM780 from zero to overload.

What am I missing?  Using SmartSDR 1.2.17.65, and HRD 6.2.4.280.  Same problem with the last version of each.  Using Windows 7.

Help!

Rich

K5YBX

Answers

• K9APW - Dick - Verona, WI
    edited June 2017
    Hi Richard -- would you care to explain to me how you have your FLdigi software interfaced with the Flex? I have been using FLdigi for some time with my old rig, IC700, through a Signalink USB -- I am not figuring out how to start using the Flx for RTTY, PSK, etc., using the FLdigi software --- how do I connect the Flex to it?? Your help would be appreciated. Sorry I cannot help with the problem you are having -- 73 ****, K9APW
  • Richard Sinclair
    edited August 2014

****...I use the same settings as for HRD.  Com 4 is for CAT and Com 5 for PTT.  Have you downloaded the SmartSDR.xml file?  I am not an experienced Fldigi user.  I downloaded it to see if it would work with the 6700 as a comparison to HRD.  I use the same setup for MixW.

Rich

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Throw away the signalink. U don't need an external interface. Search FLDIGI on this community. Lots of good tutorials.
  • Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Fldigi works fine with a Flex Signature series radio.  With Regard to HRD, assuming you have it set to the right DAX channel and the squelch level in DM780 is not too low, you should be fine. Also make sure notch filters and audio processing is OFF.
  • Ed_NZ1Q
    Ed_NZ1Q Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Rich, here is what I've found when facing the same problem. After trying several PCs (older single and dual core), I broke down and bought a new pc with lots of horse power. My PSK is now decoding perfectly. I am convinced it was a processor speed issue.  Just a data point.
  • Richard Sinclair
    edited July 2014
    Ed, you are on the money.  I watched CPU utilization and it was bouncing around 100% when attempting to decode PSK with HRD.  This is on a seven-year old Dell duo core.  I borrowed an i5 machine and everything worked perfectly, and the CPU was loafing along.  So, it was not SmartSDR or HRD, it was my elderly computer.  Yes, a duo core will run SmartSDR, but maybe not too much more, at least in my shack.  So, I get the enjoyment of a new computer!  Thanks everyone for your suggestions, and particularly Ed for identifying what turned out to be the problem.
  • np2g
    np2g Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    try running ddutil with the HRD apps enabled instead of running HRD just use DM780 While it may use less processing power at least until you get a faster machine you may have it to play with
  • Ed_NZ1Q
    Ed_NZ1Q Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Also, in selecting a new PC, go for a high performance graphics card (very important) as others have posted before.
  • Richard Sinclair
    edited July 2014
    Thanks!  I have ordered a "DXer's Dream System" from Neal Campbell.  That ought to take care of it!
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I have a similar problem here and I believe it is DAX. One the DAX channel control app I have receive slider almost pegged to the right. It is kind of bouncing off 100% but to get even close to that requires full slider. It works, just not well and I have a very powerful machine running it, 3.0->3.5 GHz, 8GB. It works a little better in fldigi than DM780 but neither are solid on decoding either psk or rtty.

DAX here sometimes won't even transmit even though DM780 thinks it is, DAX channel applet thinks it is, the 6500 thinks it is (red power switch, relay clicks) but no RF and ssdr shows no rf power.
  • Richard Sinclair
    edited July 2014
    Walt:

I did not try to transmit using the borrowed i5 box.  DM780 did decode very well, even on faint signals.  I had DAX set at about 50.  I hope I can get similar results with a new computer.  Maybe DAX will get some refining in future releases.  Digital modes worked so well with PowerSDR and VAC that I assumed the newer radio would do at least as well.  We'll see...

Rich
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Oh, I completely agree. I like my 1500 but the laptop in my lap would get really hot on my thigh. Not that I am a fan of VAC but the 1500 worked great digital mode, from MA I worked VK on 5 watts, Croatia, on 5 watts, and, as I recall, Hong Kong on 5 watts. My frustration with it (on my qrz page) wasn't with the 1500 per se, it was with 5 watts and the Gap Titan antenna. PowerSDR totally rocks IMHO.

Walt
  • Richard Sinclair
    edited September 2014
    I finally got my Neal Campbell "DXer's Dream Sysem."  SmartSDR, the 6700 and HRD work perfectly together.  PSK copy is excellent and does not tax the computer at all.  So, confirmation that a duo core computer will work OK with some modes, but struggles with external programs, like DM 780.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.