Can I use an Ethernet to Wifi adapter on the 6500 Ethernet port to make it wireless?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I just received my Maestro today and would like to use the Wifi feature. However, my 6500 is not close enough to my wifi router for a hard wire connection. Can I use an Ethernet to Wifi adapter on the 6500 Ethernet port?
Photo of K7NXT

K7NXT

• 37 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Mike va3mw

Mike va3mw

• 824 Posts
  • 195 Reply Likes
You should be able to as long as it passes Level 2 communications.  Some do and some don't.  I have one that I need to test, but that doesn't help you today.   I just never got around to it.

Mike va3mw
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1537 Posts
  • 546 Reply Likes
Yes. Works as well as your wi-fi signal allows. You might consider a wif-fi extender with a built-in switch to connect your shack PC and Flex, That way, you have a solid connection for comparison, and can go wherever your wi-fi allows with the Maestro, laptop, tablet, etc.
Photo of Watts - K4QJZ

Watts - K4QJZ

• 62 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I have had mixed luck with extenders and the type of network traffic the flex needs to pass.
I would strongly recommend trying to use G (5ghz) not B (2.4Ghz) for your wireless link between your radio and your wireless router (less interference and greater bandwidth). It can work very well unless there is a great distance between your router and the radio. B goes further at lower speeds.
I recommend you look for what is known as a "wireless bridge".
Best Buy and others sell them, often thought of as WiFi adapters for game machines by the sales folks. These are usally a small stand alone box where you plug a network cable into your Flex and the other end into it.
They can work great with the flex.
K4QJZ
Photo of K7NXT

K7NXT

• 37 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Thx, I never would have thought to try that.