Behringer CMD Micro DJ Midi Controller for use with Flex 6000

• Idea
  • Updated 1 year ago
I wrote an application in the Processing IDE to interface the Behringer CMD Micro with the flex 6000 series radios.  The program utilizes the TCPIP API to interface with the radio.  This program is given free of charge with no expressed or implied warranty.  Please feel free to modify the source as you see fit.

Here is the latest alpha (possibly buggy) version for the CMD Micro.  This version has the following new features.

1.  Improved Frequency control - no more floating point errors (.0001+.0001 no longer = 3 LOL)
2.  New steps 1 -amber/10-blue/50- flashing
3.  Jog wheels x5 step when spun fast, for quick movements
4.  Vox key replaced with "Shift" button.  If shift is lit, the functions listed above the button/dial are available.  This opens up the possibility for more future functions.

Give it a test and report back!  Much more work to clean this up and add new features.  But before continuing, I would like this tested thoroughly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ln4hq84g663808c/CMDMicroFlex6k_v2_0.zip?dl=0

William
Photo of William Hemmingsen

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 931 Posts
  • 172 Reply Likes
William, I really like your programs very much. My CMD and notebook as it looks now:

Small, but works fine. Below are the TRX TS-2000X for V/U/SHF and HF digital modes and the IC-756Pro for CW and PACTOR/AMTOR and above the ID-5100 for D-Star
and the TM-D710 for APRS, the Flex-6500 and lots of TNCs... All controlled by
one notebook, a VAIO I7 QuadCore with 1 TB SSD and 16 gigs RAM.
73, Alex DH2ID
(Edited)
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1758 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Alex I love your gear.

I have had an Icom IC-756 and IC-756Pro2, both great radios. I am looking into a ts-2000 for sat and VHF-UHF work. Add a massive 28 inch 4K 60Hz monitor in the middle, the new Expert 1.3k and I am set.

I like your taste in equipment.
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 931 Posts
  • 172 Reply Likes
Hola Salvador,
me gusta el TS-2000X porque esta muy bien por las ondas cortas tambien.
I especially like the possibility to use it for all digital modes from 160m to 23cm.
Saludos,
Alejandro
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1758 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I am undecided between buying a new TS-2000, which is a 10+ year old technology and has the SO-50 birdie or try my luck with a couple of transverters and the flex radio. The advantage of the transverter is being able to use the 1500 which has been collecting dust since I have the 6300. The advantage of the TS-2000 is a fairly small all in one 100w radio which could be my portable rig and replace the 857d. The other advantage of the transverter is the utility regardless of the gear.

I also think that I want to upgrade from the 6300 to the 6700 before I purchase the TS2000 or anything else radio wise.... 
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 931 Posts
  • 172 Reply Likes
I have kept my 857d for mobile work, as it tunes the ATAS antenna. Of course the TS-2000 is "old technology" but it's noise reduction and DSP is great. And I don't like transverters.
(Edited)

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Here is a special version for people that use external tuner.  Only change is ATU and Tune are swapped.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/8pjm1jnkoiba23k/CMDMicroFlex6k_v2_0_ExTune.zip?dl=0

William
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 888 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
The Behringer CMD with William's software is a great combination. 
William was also developing an Android app, but got stuck with audio stream problems.
I haven't heard from him for a long time and hope he is well.
73, Alex - DH2ID
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 805 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
Yeah, 1 year in usage with CMD Micro DJ  !
BTW, William , we are looking forward :-)  any updates, improvements ?
Photo of Carl Moreschi

Carl Moreschi

• 36 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
My N4PY Pegasus Plus fully supports this device.  And all controls on it are fully user defineable.
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 805 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
Carl sounds good, however:
from N4PU manual
                                     PC to Radio Serial Connection
 Connect a 9 pin serial port cable between the radio and an available COM port on your PC. ....etc

You know we are expecting connection through Ethernet API 
(Edited)
Photo of Carl Moreschi

Carl Moreschi

• 36 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
That is for other radios.  The Flex 6000's radios connect via ethernet.  No CAT or anything else is needed even for logging programs.  Everything connect via N4PY.
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 931 Posts
  • 172 Reply Likes
Thanks, it works! And thank you for using the shift key to set two functions for some keys.
Do you think that it is possible to set a second function to the mode knob to change profiles or bands?
73,Alex DH2ID
(Edited)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3593 Posts
  • 1446 Reply Likes
I usually hang around the FRS stand as well.. Be there Friday to Sat or Sunday.. Albeit I just got invited to a mobile DXpedition starting in OK Land on Sunday..
Photo of Paul Sokoloff

Paul Sokoloff

• 20 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hello,  Using this with Flex 6300.  I appreciate your work, but the unit does not work correctly with transverters.  50 MHz is OK, 144 starts to stutter when tuned, when using on 222, tuning the knob left and right does not move smoothly and changes bands to 2 meters and back to 222 as it tunes.  bands above that do not work well.  I was hoping the new version would fix this 
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 905 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
This app has not been updated in a long time. It is likely it never will be.
James
WD5GWY
(Edited)
Photo of Paul Sokoloff

Paul Sokoloff

• 20 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
OK Thank you.
Photo of Carl Moreschi

Carl Moreschi

• 36 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
My N4PY Pegasus Plus fully supports all the Flex 6000 radios and transverters.  It has full user selection of all the Behringer controls allowing you to set up the device any way you want.
Photo of Al K0VM

Al K0VM, Elmer

• 583 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
William,
  Thanks for your work..

AL, K0VM
Photo of Bob- W5TX

Bob- W5TX

• 93 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Question. Not familiar with Midi controllers. Are key/buttons labeled via software? If not how do you make labels. Like the idea.
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 924 Posts
  • 172 Reply Likes
Bob, I bought the Brother P-Touch 2430 and 6mm white on black Tape. 
The labels are very durable, stick to the buttons and look just great.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-P-Touch-2430PC-Label-PT-2430/dp/B0096XTGOS

Alex DH2ID
(Edited)
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 294 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Hi William,

It gets better and better.  Thanks!  Glad you're back on the Micro.

I do have a couple of items I'd like to get your thoughts on.

1.  The switch back from 250 Hz. to 50 Hz.step size is very fast.  I've tried to turn the knob fast enough to keep it in 250 Hz. mode but it reverts during each every revolution.  If the revert delay time was just a bit longer it would probably remain in 250 Hz. mode during an entire trip from one part of the band to another.

2. I was wondering if you have had any thoughts on my earlier post regarding a swap of the two sides of the panel.  I don't know if you are right or left handed but I'm a rightly.  When I use my right hand to tune slice A on the left, my arm covers much of the panel.  If I could swap the knobs, I could use my left hand on the volume, AGC, PTT, Etc. without moving my right hand, saving a lot of movement.

Thanks for your consideration & thanks again for the software.  Great stuff.

Bob
(Edited)

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Bob,

The delay is a good idea, and I will experiment with that.  When you say switch sides I assume you mean swap vfo a/b/ the a/b buttons/ the vfo vol/ agct.  Anything else?

I am a righty, but use my left hand to tune.

This is not too difficult and I may incorporate in a future release.  Just let me know what buttons should swap with the dials.

William
(Edited)

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
All,

This version addresses the need to swap stuff around.  I'm not sure if this is a permanent solution, but it address the immediate need.

The var.txt file located in the data directory can be edited to swap certain functions.  However keep in mind, a jog wheel must be swapped with a jog wheel, a button for a button, and slider for a slider.

The current changeable functions are annotated by a number in the app window as seen above.

Here is the default settings in the vat.txt

vfoa=17;
vfob=33;
selecta=48;
selectb=49;
vola=18;
volb=34;
agca=16;
agcb=32;

If you would like to swap AGC and VOL

vfoa=17;
vfob=33;
selecta=48;
selectb=49;
vola=16;
volb=32;
agca=18;
agcb=34;

If you would like to completely swap Slice A controls to the right side.

vfoa=33;
vfob=17;
selecta=49;
selectb=48;
vola=34;
volb=18;
agca=32;
agcb=16;

When editing the var.txt file, do not add any spacing or reformat in any way.  Just change the values and save.

Give it a try and let me know. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fhy99o5d4o8r32y/CMDMicroFlex6k_v2_0b.zip?dl=0

and this version adds a delay in switching from 5x step back to 1x step.  This allows you to maintain the 5x speed better.  Try it out and report back if more delay is needed, or you just hate it.  LOL

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rv08z9aaxo0ixlp/CMDMicroFlex6k_v2_0c.zip?dl=0

William
(Edited)
Photo of Vit

Vit

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello, I am Midi Controller beginer, my question is .. is it possible modify  vat.txt to my own arrangement?. If yes, how?...... 73 from Vit, OK5MM
Photo of Vit

Vit

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
..... my email adress....     ok5mm@post.cz
Photo of Bob W7KWS

Bob W7KWS

• 25 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
WOW! William, you are truly amazing. I'll try this and probably have to take quite a bit more time than you did writing it.

Originally I was thinking just the knobs but you've given me a chance to try all kind of arrangements. The way you've done this appears to be universal. I can't imagine anything better than everything.

Bob
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3837 Posts
  • 1168 Reply Likes
Bob, it isn't as hard as it originally looks, once you start to get the syntax.
Commands end with a ";"
The curvy brackets { } enclose nested levels of commands.
Variables are defined and initialized at the beginning of the program.  (are they integer, floating point, string, or Boolean variables?)
Variables are manipulated with simple statements....vfo=25;  sets the VFO value to 25...

IF(VFO==25) {do this function....} ELSE {Do THIS function.....}  
  asks IF VFO is equal to 25.  if so, do one function.  If Not, do a different function.

(there is no THEN statement needed, as was used in older languages.  it is assumed, and the Right Hand bracket ends the first conditional statement.  The ELSE { begins the second conditional statement, or statements, which ends with another }   )

VFO++;    increments the VFO value by one
VFO--;       decrements it by one.

VFO=VFO+Step;  bumps the VFO value up by the amount in the variable STEP.

and on it goes...

Most of the software is to sense which command control or button is pressed, based upon the MIDI code the controller puts out. 

IF ((Channel==0) && (Pitch==20))

Then using IF/THEN statements to determine what API command to associate with the button or control pressed or turned.

Throw in a little Boolean logic for command toggles, control flip-flops, etc.
Or use count-up/count-down stepping to index things like band, mode, filters, etc.
Then there are statements to send the API commands out to the rig, and to toggle the lights on/off on the controller.

If you programmed "back in the day" you already know the logic.
All that is left is to learn a new syntax.

THere is a nice tutorial on the "Processing" website at
https://processing.org/
and the syntax and command reference at 
https://processing.org/reference/

Check it out.  It is nice.

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Bob W7KWS

Bob W7KWS

• 25 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hi Ken,

Thanks!  You are probably right and I will look again for the umpteenth time.

The problem is that my brain has been wired in reverse from the 1970s and the days of the Intel 4040 and later the 8048 & 8085 when I was doing this stuff for money.  I really didn't have the patience for software back then but I slogged through it as the projects were my responsibility.  Now I'm retired for nearly twenty years and I'm into doing fun stuff and software doesn't seem to qualify.  Therefore my attention span is very short.

Back in the day, bit manipulation took an eternity to write but, when broken down to 8-bits at a time maximum, it became simple for me.  I was really a much better hardware designer.

Somehow, what you describe doesn't flow through my brain's "masked ROM" but I will try once more with your kind encouragement to change it out for a EEPROM.

Bob
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3837 Posts
  • 1168 Reply Likes
Though I am not a big-time programmer, (I haven't done anything major since the days of GW-Basic!)  The program seems to follow this general outline...

Import already-written processes (I used to call them subroutines);
define initialize variables;
open communications channel to the rig;
open communications channel to the MIDI Device;

Then the constant loop:
  check MIDI Device for input...(Midi Channel, Pitch, Value);
  use IF/Then/Else statements to see which button or control is activated;
  send the proper command to the RIG;
      (depending upon which button or control was activated);
  Increment indexing counters as needed for band/mode/filter/etc.
  set boolean toggles as needed for ON/OFF commands;
  send command to MIDI Device to turn lights ON/OFF;
  update frequency information  on computer (superimposed on the picture);
go back and wait for another control to be activated and repeat.

It is actually a relatively simple program, once you get it....
(Simple boolean logic, simple count up/down indexing, sample a channel, compare values, send a command, etc.)  It is simple, but with lots of commands, because there are a lot of functions.  (But getting the VFO counters and all that to work correctly was a challenge, I'm sure.)

William has done excellent work, that I wish I had had the courage to begin two years ago.  He has taken exactly the approach that I knew could be done, but didn't have the familiarity with either MIDI functions, or the Processing or C# languages to do....(i.e. import MIDI codes, look up a corresponding function, and send the command via the API to the Flex rig.)  

This same approach can be used to build other programs to control the rig using on-screen functions, mouse clicks, buttons, etc. using the API, or even using the serial CAT command set on the 6000 series or the CAT commands for the other Flex rigs, or even other brands of rigs.

WIlliam has unlocked some effective tools that may get several of us into programming things for the 6000 series.

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 277 Reply Likes
I'm in the process of making a Android App to control additional feature.  So far I can discover the radio and control a few functions.  So I have made it over the hurdle.  Once you begin down the path, the options are limitless.

I spent half the day figuring out how to communicate over TCP with native java!  What a pain.  Processing made that simple,  But I figured it out.

Now I need to figure out how to receive in the radio variables.

Now to figure out what I want an android app to do  hmmm!

William
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 261 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
YES! Another quality adventure. If there is anything I can do to help, I'm all in.

Bob

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Here is a new version to test.  Here are the changes from 2.0c;

1. Updated the delay count to make Stepx5 easier to maintain. Also lowered the speed required to engage Stepx5.
2. Added band switching.  Center encoder dial is now band switching when shift off, mode when shift on.  Also now it take 2 indent ticks to register a change, as I felt it was too touchy.

The graphic in the app window is becoming a hack job.  I will update it at some point when I'm done adding functions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/am5fx5j8i8qevgo/CMDMicroFlex6k_v2_0d.zip?dl=0

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
opps forgot about the ex tune version, I will get you a version soon.  I'm away from my main PC, but will upload you a version either tonight or first thing tomorrow. 
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 891 Posts
  • 166 Reply Likes
No problem here, William :-) But I would be most grateful if you could leave RF power unshifted, as it is at the moment, for "my" version....

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
sure,  i plan on adding that as an editable option at some point again.  The onscreen toggles were cool, but not that realistic long term.  So I plan on going back to the text file option to change things.  I will make a version for you, and the next release I will make it an option to edit the txt file so I don't have to keep making special versions.

Photo of Steve W6SDM

Steve W6SDM

• 622 Posts
  • 280 Reply Likes
With the CMD Micro controller, I have a new tag line for Flex advertising:

Flex SDR: BYOB (Bring Your Own Buttons)

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
lol

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Alex,

Here is the version for you.  Tune and RF power are non shift, HP vol and ATU are shift.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ohygvsxomllnvf/CMDMicroFlex6k_v2_0d_Extune.zip?dl=0
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 891 Posts
  • 166 Reply Likes
William, nice to see you here again! I hadn't thought about hung connections
IN the radio...

73 and keep up the good works,

Alex DH2ID
Photo of G8ZPX

G8ZPX

• 196 Posts
  • 110 Reply Likes

William, thanks for the idea. I had not thought of it being a problem that persists beyond a power-up cycle. I wonder what you think might be going on that causes this problem to a) persist, and b) only shows with your app running?

Also, should it matter if flex control is enabled or not in the SSDR?

73 de Steve G1XOW

Photo of Steven G1XOW

Steven G1XOW

• 281 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes

problem found and resolved: I tried doing the hard reset as suggested by William - no help. I then tired removing DDUTIL, SMETER etc all no help. I then checked version numbers of SSDR CAT (flexVSP) module, this was not in agreement with the other SSDR 1.4.16 modules.

So, I removed the entire package and then reinstalled after a reboot - problem solved. So looks like I had somehow managed to get an old version of CAT left over from previous install of SSDR.

Alex and William thanks for your help!

73 de Steve G1XOW

Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 3969 Posts
  • 1222 Reply Likes
Thanks for the update.I'm sure you aren't the only one who has gotten their CAT's crossed!  Just call it "CAT scratch fever!"
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 891 Posts
  • 166 Reply Likes
Steve, thank you for the info. Now I know why I deinstall all old versions... ;-)
Photo of Clive - G4KCM

Clive - G4KCM

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
William, 

Fantastic piece of work. Just started using it on my 6500 and love it.

Thank you for all the hard work you are putting into this and your other projects.

73, Clive G4KCM

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Your welcome!
Photo of W5XZ - dan

W5XZ - dan

• 564 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
wow dude!! awesome !! many many thanks!!

(mine just hit the deck...)
Photo of W5XZ - dan

W5XZ - dan

• 564 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
the 'dual speed' vfo function knob is marvelous !

the tuning step choices are a little fine for me; how do I set it for 10hz, 100 hz, and 10k hz ( for am bcb swl'ing, eg  )?

73, and 'you da man'!!
Photo of Steve W6SDM

Steve W6SDM

• 623 Posts
  • 280 Reply Likes
I use one of these, from Amazon, as a stand for my CMD Controller.  It lets me adjust the angle and place it behind the key board.  It's designed for an iPad and I use another one for my K6TU controller. 
http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Folding-Tablet-Stand-Android/dp/B000CKVOOY/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1...
Photo of W5XZ - dan

W5XZ - dan

• 564 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
i use a stick of wood, ha! staying under budget, ya know..
Photo of Steve W6SDM

Steve W6SDM

• 623 Posts
  • 280 Reply Likes

Yeah, but mine gets more girls.  :)
Photo of W5XZ - dan

W5XZ - dan

• 564 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
maybe, but < I > can buy her a drink or two...ha!

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Dan,

10kh  I have to ask WHY LOL

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
As for the Keyer speed, which i assume you mean WPM , that is the easiest of all. Search for this line;

c.write("C44|mixer lineout gain "+round(value*0.787)+"\r\n");

And change it with

c.write("C44|cwx wpm "+round((value*0.276)+5)+"\r\n");

This gives you a WPM of 5-100.  However I think this is more realistic say 5-40?

c.write("C44|cwx wpm "+round((value*0.72)+5)+"\r\n");

I have not tested this, but it should work.  

William

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
One thing I failed to explain is, the midi dials have a value of 0-127.  So the math here is easy.  If we want a value of 0-100 (what the radio expects for volume) we have to multiply the midi value by .787.  so 127x.787=100.

So if we want a value of 5-100 (what flex expects for WPM) we need 95 increments.  So we take 95/127=.72....So to get a starting value of zero we get 0x.72+5 = 5 and an end value 127x.72+5=100

William

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
My earlier post was backwards.  Just to clarify:

5-40 WPM
c.write("C44|cwx wpm "+round((value*0.276)+5)+"\r\n");

5-100 WPM
c.write("C44|cwx wpm "+round((value*0.72)+5)+"\r\n");
Photo of W5XZ - dan

W5XZ - dan

• 564 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
tnx dude..i'll get to it when i have time ( ??? )

your ARE da man, bro...
Photo of Dave Dave

Dave Dave

• 135 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Love the CMD Micro app..... every link I find to update isn't working?
Really want the 5X jog wheel....... THANKS!

Hard to find place to post that you will see..... hope it works.
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 294 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
William,

Have you tried Pocket rxtx, free in the Google Play Store?  It's a work in progress but it works pretty well with my Kenwood TS-590 via the Internet. The tuning dial works quite well and it supports a number of rigs.  Dan, the authors, hasn't had time to work on it in some time so some features are incomplete plus a few minor bugs but no deal breakers.

Bob

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Bob,

My Android app will just be a few extra buttons and sliders.  I do not intend or have the skills yet to make a complete android client.  I just want an App that has a few commonly used functions at my fingertips.  It will be used as a supplement for additional controls to the CMD Micro. 

After using the Micro more, there are certain functions I don't like:

1. Band selection - I prefer selecting band vs cycling thru them
2. Mode selection - Same as above
3. Micro is missing adjustable filters
4. NR/NB/ANF levels missing

And a few other wish I hads!

So far I have a android app that does 1,3, and 4.  This app is a just for me thing.  I will happily share it to anyone who is interested when I'm done, But its really not intended to be universal.  Maybe one day, but for now its just a personal project.

William
Photo of Bob W7KWS

Bob W7KWS

• 25 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Very good William.

I guess that skill is relative & you seem pretty good at getting quality results. Thanks again for the Micro. Your skill with that has made The Flex my "goto" rig where before it was just a fun experiment.

If you haven't tried Pocket rxtx on your Android device, I recommend it. I can't say that it will do what you mentioned but it's an app that is very useful for remoting a rig via the Internet or USB if you want.

Dan, YO3GGX hasn't included the Flex CAT commands but functions are configured in a text file. I modified one of his other Kenwood rig files for my TS-590 with relative ease. Doing the same for the Flex shouldn't be too hard.

His WEB site also features a free tcp to COM port interface for your PC or VSPE works as well.

The audio isn't implemented yet but I use a free SIP VOIP client or others are using Skype.

Bob

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
OT:  But here is the status of my Android App.  Ignore the funny letter sizing.  This happens in the emulator not on the actual device.

So far I have band switching, xit, rit, mode,  nr/nb/anf with level sliders, RX filter hi/lo.

I still have plenty or real estate left to add more.   This is sized for a 1280x800 screen, and I will not be making this scalable for other resolutions.

Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 931 Posts
  • 172 Reply Likes
Looks like a great app with lots of possibilities. ..
73, Alex DH2ID
Photo of W5XZ - dan

W5XZ - dan

• 564 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
wow, more fun stuff with my galaxy s-5 ??

what a great time to be alive, huh??
Photo of Bob W7KWS

Bob W7KWS

• 25 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
William,

On the CMD Micro, I've noticed that when I press the "Step" button it works as I'd expect and also changes the step dialog in SmartSDR to the corresponding value.  Then, if I change SmartSDR to 500 Hz, your software remains at 50/250 Hz. steps.

This is great as it gives me three choices without pushing any buttons; 500 Hz. steps (or wherever I've left the SmartSDR setting) using the mouse wheel and 50/250 Hz. on the Micro using the touch sensitive knob. 

I was wondering if there is a way to use the Micro's "Step" button selection without it also changing SmartSDR?  Getting rid of the blinking button in 50/250 Hz. would be a plus if it were easy.

Thanks,

Bob

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Bob,

I can easily remove the step sync with smart SDR, if thats what yall want.  The Micro step sizes are totally independent, so there is no real need to sync them.

The blinking is just to know what step size the micro is in,  Off for 1, on for 10, blink for 50.  This can easily be removed, if SmartSDR step sync is off, how would you know what step size the micro is at?

I know the blinking is a bit annoying, but it gives visual feedback.

William
Photo of Bob W7KWS

Bob W7KWS

• 25 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
William,

The last thing I want to do is ask you to do any more one-off specials so I can wait to see what others think about these things.  It certainly is not critical.

As far as the blinking light goes, If it has to blink, my preference would be to put it on the 1-Hz mode as I never use that.  I suspect others would prefer it the way it is.

Regarding the blink, is the hardware capable of turning on both colors?  Probably not or you might have done it that way.  The two color mix could indicate the distinction.

Another thought is to use one of the two PTT buttons since you can only transmit on the active slice anyway.

Bob
Photo of Bob W7KWS

Bob W7KWS

• 25 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
By the way William, and again, It's isn't important to me because I use a hand Mic & the PTT on it, but you might find the PTT on the Micro hard to hold down for an entire transmission.  A toggle is the alternate choice but isn't desired in some situations.

Here's the thought.  Another piece of software I use, has a dual mode PTT button and it really works well.  If you push the button quickly, it toggles and stays on until the next push (Toggle).  If you hold it for more than 1/4 of a second it becomes a hold to talk, release to listen.  NICE!

Again, I don't use the PTT and I don't need this, but I thought the idea was worth sharing with you.

Bob
(Edited)

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
I have no issues holding down PTT for long periods, But I guess that depends on what you call long.  I am not a ragchewer, most of my contacts are short DX.

I'm not sure enough use the PTT to justify the coding of the complex routine.  But if others would like this, I will look into it.

William
Photo of Michael - N5TGL

Michael - N5TGL

• 307 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
The dual mode PTT is a pretty neat idea.  I use a footswitch for my PTT, but I do get into some reasonably long ragchews and a locking PTT would be handy.  I've got a commercial grade footswitch and it requires a fair bit of weight to keep it held down.  Works great for contesting and preventing false triggering but not so much for longer transmissions.

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Larry,

I got an email that you were having issues, but your question got deleted from the thread.  Are you still having issues?

William
Photo of Larry - W8LLL

Larry - W8LLL

• 406 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes

I deleted that message because I realized it was just my firewall blocking it, thanks.

Photo of Asher - K0AU

Asher - K0AU

• 174 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
William - brilliant contributions with the Midi control surfaces.  I like the look of the Behringer.  Do you know if any Midi controllers have an input contact we could use for PTT?

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Not that I know of, butit would not be that hard to add an external 3.5mm jack wired to the midi PTT button for an external hand/foot switch.
Photo of Michael - N5TGL

Michael - N5TGL

• 307 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Why not use the PTT jack on the back of the radio?
Photo of Chris DL5NAM

Chris DL5NAM

• 596 Posts
  • 130 Reply Likes
... how do you connect the PTT via Lan for remote? :-)
(Edited)
Photo of Bob W7KWS

Bob W7KWS

• 25 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Try PstRotatorAz which has a remote PTT feature in addition to remote rotator and remote SteppIR control.
Photo of Asher - K0AU

Asher - K0AU

• 174 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Midi controller just worked out of the box - great job!  I downloaded Processing 2.2.1 but when I open the source/CMDMicroFlex6k_v2_0d file processing first wants to wrap it in another folder.  Then it can't find the libraries.  Is there some magic to get everything to open?

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
You need the copy the /data directory from the zip file to the new location.  And you must add the libraries.  If I recall you need these (all which can auto install from the add libraries menu item)

processing.net
UDP

Just look at the top of the file for the import statements.  And make sure you have all of those.

William
Photo of Asher - K0AU

Asher - K0AU

• 174 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Thanks!  Now running in the IDE. 
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 909 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Strange, I just got my Midi controller today and hooked it up. Windows Vista (32bit) finds it just fine and the D version of the software comes up and the controls work, but, the program does not find the radio or interact with SmartSDR! I have even downloaded earlier versions and the same results. It just does not see the radio on my network.
   Just to be sure things were working between the radio, SSDR and 3rd party apps, I ran a test program that I have been working on and it finds the radio just fine and changes in it, show up both in my app and SSDR. Not sure why the midi program is not discovering the controller. (probably pilot error!)
james
WD5GWY

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Good deal!!
Photo of James Whiteway

James Whiteway

• 909 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
By the way, thanks for all the hard work you put into this project! Works good.
The CMD Micro DJ Midi Controller is bigger than I thought it would be! Still, it fits on my operating desk just fine. You have to be one of the most prolific programmers I have encountered. Writing software for several controllers and working on an Android app too! I just take small stabs at it on the weekends when my wife's "honey do" list is not too overwhelming!
james
WD5GWY

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
Your welcome!  And I'm far from prolific, just learning myself.

William
Photo of Javier, KC2QII

Javier, KC2QII

• 33 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
William,

Just to let you know, I have been running Remote Operation from San Diego, CA since 14 April suucessfully, running CMDMicro6k, SSDR, WSJT-X through OpenVPN, hotel WiFi.

See https://picasaweb.google.com/118380903168306628106/Flex6300RemoteOperation?authuser=0&feat=direc...

Javier, KC2QII
(Edited)
Photo of W5UN_Dave

W5UN_Dave

• 315 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Javier does the openVPN slow things down for you? I need a tutorial from you on how to setup and use openVPN with Flerx 6700.
Photo of Peter Driessen

Peter Driessen

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Great work.. Can you please post complete instructions on how to get it running:  prerequisities, download links, directories to put files in, installation instructions, etc.
Thanks!
Peter
Photo of Peter Driessen

Peter Driessen

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks William.   Earlier in this thread I saw comments like
"You need the copy the /data directory from the zip file to the new location.  And you must add the libraries.  If I recall you need these (all which can auto install from the add libraries menu item)"
Which libraries?  The files in the lib folder or ?

Do I need to download Processing 2.2.1 IDE?

Thanks
Peter

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 277 Reply Likes
Peter,

That was information for people that wish to modify the program themselves.   If you have no intention of learning programming.  Then you don't need to do any of that,

So no you do not need anything but my program.

William
Photo of Peter Driessen

Peter Driessen

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi William,

I downloaded and am now running the 64 bit .exe file
After some time, the window comes up and shows it recognizes my FLEX 6700 at IP address 192.168.1.102.
However, nothing happens when I move knobs or click on the screen.
Am I missing something?
thanks
Peter

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 277 Reply Likes
Peter,

The midi driver is most likely not loaded for some reason, check device manager.  Others on here had the same issue, and it was related to virusscan/spyware software.

William
Photo of Peter Driessen

Peter Driessen

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Working fine now, thanks. I switched USB ports and the windows "installing drivers" came up.

Peter
Photo of Bob W7KWS

Bob W7KWS

• 25 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Will anyone interested in adding knobs & buttons to Flex 6000 radios be at Dayton this year?
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1735 Posts
  • 590 Reply Likes
Hi William,
Here is something new.....to build your own customized control.  Looks interesting.......

http://palettegear.com/

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

William Hemmingsen

• 573 Posts
  • 278 Reply Likes
That has a big cool factor, but cost a fortune by the time you get enough controls.

William
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1735 Posts
  • 590 Reply Likes
The mid- range kit is $199 -- about what I paid for my 2 Flexcontrols.  Plus you get 2 sliders and its expandable.   Add more buttons etc if needed although I didn't see the prices for individual prices.    

Anyway seem like an interesting concept -- reconfigure modules at will. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.