6300 Keying Kenwood TL-922a

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
I have the 6300 connected to the 922a properly, but when I move the amp to operate, it keys the amp???
Photo of John Watson

John Watson

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 366 Posts
  • 96 Reply Likes
Hi John

The TL922 is a high power amp keying line.  You will need a keying buffer in place.

I assume you have the RCA connected to TX1.

Mike 
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1590 Posts
  • 555 Reply Likes
Do you have an isolation device between the Flex and amp? If I recall, the TL922 keying may pull more current than the Flex relay can handle,
Photo of Eric Davenport

Eric Davenport

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I use an Ameritron ARB-704 between the 6600 and the TL922. Never checked if it was necessary due to how much the TL922 pulls but I have always used 704 between whatever radio I had and the amp. My logic went to better safe than sorry.

Photo of mikeatthebeach .

mikeatthebeach .

• 277 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Had a TL922A kill an Icom 706 Mk II G keying circuit
You must get a 704 unit !!!
Photo of Greg - N8GD

Greg - N8GD

• 218 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
With the behavior you describe, it is most likely that you have caused the keying device (transistor or other) to fail in a shorted condition inside your 6300.  Time to open a help desk ticket and let Flex sort it out for you, which will most likely result in sending it back to them for repair.  Older amps, like the TL-922A. draw far too much current on the keying relay coil for modern day transceiver keying circuits (Flex is no exception).  The ARB-704 is an absolute necessity, so get one before you get the 6300 back from repair!
Photo of Dudley - WA5QPZ

Dudley - WA5QPZ, Elmer

• 84 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
John,

If the high voltage/current did not destroy the chip,  you might try removing the DC from the radio and let the internal chip reset,   but DO NOT connect that amp directly to the radio,  needs a keying relay inbetween the radio and that amp.

Dudley
WA5QPZ