Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smartlink works Perfectly with StarLink

Options

We live out in the country and have no cable or fiber options for internet. In the past our internet has been expensive Lte hubs.

We have enjoyed Starlink for over a year now, for everything other then remote ham operations.

We recently upgraded Starlink plan from standard Residential to Business Priority 40GB plan. This cost approximately $40 Cdn more then the residential plan. The advantage is it comes with a dynamic public ip address. I have not seen my public ip address change in over 2 months.

It only takes a few days to exhaust 40GB of priority data, then the plan falls back to unlimited standard residential plan, BUT retains the public ip address. Make sure not to select to buy extra priority data that will add up fast at $0.65 per GB.

Steps:

Starlink router placed in bridge mode.

Public address turned on from Starlink app.

Use your router (Netgear Nighthawk RAXE 300) in my case.

At this point you can use Universal Plug and Play or set up port forwarding both work great in my case.

I setup dhcp in the Netgear router on an ip range ( 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.200).

Setup ip reservation on all the Flex radio gear on (192.168.0.205 to 192.168.0.240)

Setup the port forwarding 4994 TCP and 4993 UDP.

No DMZ

Flex gear always boots to the same ip address each time.

Internet Speeds do vary but here is the range:

Latency 30-60ms, Jitter 3-10ms, Download 100-320Mbps, Upload 10-30Mbps.

The on air SSB test have been flawless no packet loss. Starlink has been great during snow and rain storms. Now Starlink customer service is all done through a ticket service, lucky not needed it yet.

In the past I did try Tailscale vpn on my Lte hub, barely worked, Latency was too high and too much packet loss. Solved by a static ip address on Lte hub no vpn required but expensive.

I know other Flex users have posted their success with Starlink and I do agree it works great if you nothing better.

Shawn

ve3xyy

Comments

• widowsson_N6ATC
    widowsson_N6ATC Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm using the exact same setup, except my network great is Ubiquiti.

Do you have any problems when transmitting on 20 meters? How far is your HF antenna from your Starlink antenna?

When I transmit on 20, it will **** Starlink every time unless I use pretty low power. 80, 40 and other bands are no problem.

• ShawnQuinn
    ShawnQuinn Member ✭✭
    Options

Starlink dish and modem are about 100 ft away from HF antenna's, Buried outdoor shielded cat 6 runs through old garden hose to router inside the house. Can run Canadian legal limit 2250watts on all hf bands no issues, But usually only run 4-500 watts.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.