Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

TG- Low RF power

Options

Setup: F6700, PGXL,TG

I use an Endfed antenna about 150 ft long configured as an inverted L It works fine on 40m band and higher.There is a problem on 80 and 160m band. TG displays message>Low RF Power< and turning is aborted. In the same time PG displays message >PGXL is ready for transmissions< which is obviously false. Turning RF power is set to 25W and I am reluctant to increase it.

Any comments and suggestions about this matter?

Tom

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Have you tried a higher power?

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

As Mike commented tune at a higher power level, I always tune at around 45Watts with the TGXL.

A half wave for 80 meters is approx. 132' and 160 Meters is 264' so it should tune fine on 80 Meters if your close to 132' long but your really pushing it trying to tune it on 160 Meters, even if it does tune most of your signal will be gobbled up as heat on your RF Transformer, feedline and tuner.

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Be sure in testing you only have one slice open. It often happens to me that the Tuner Genius tunes a different antenna than what I thought because I didn’t change the focus.

Check the antenna SWR on all bands before the TG to see what you are working with on all bands. Better yet do your test with a dummy load. Also you can bypass the tuner and zero in on the issue into the dummy load.

Bill

W9JJB

• Mr Radio
    Mr Radio Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for your comments/suggestions, OMs.

I am somewhat reluctant to use a higher turning power, but I will try as OM Bret suggest.

Tom

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

What radio? How do you have it connected?

Dave wo2x

• JasonSt
    JasonSt Member ✭✭
    Options
    Tom -

I had the same problem last night—although the radio said it was transmitting, it did not send any RF to the antenna, tuner, or amp. I power-cycled the radio and reset it by holding the power button until it turned blinking white, and that fixed the problem.

Jason KD9ZHF

> @"Mr Radio" said:
    > Setup: F6700, PGXL,TG
    > I use an Endfed antenna about 150 ft long configured as an inverted L It works fine on 40m band and higher.There is a problem on 80 and 160m band. TG displays message>Low RF Power< and turning is aborted. In the same time PG displays message >PGXL is ready for transmissions< which is obviously false. Turning RF power is set to 25W and I am reluctant to increase it.
    > Any comments and suggestions about this matter?
    > Tom
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

I am somewhat reluctant to use a higher turning power, but I will try as OM Bret suggest.

As per the TGXL manual, it requires a minimum of 20 watts to tune.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.