Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro C - technical notes

Options
2»

Comments

• Chris WX7V
    Chris WX7V Member ✭✭
    Options

@Mike-VA3MW I see holes for a mount on the back of the Maestro as well. Can you confirm if this is VESA, or what the size and spacing of the holes are. It would be really cool to have the Maestro mounted on something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Stand-Height-Adjustable-Computer-Mounting-Base-Hold/dp/B08L3BJX8X

• frc2302
    frc2302 Member ✭✭
    Options

That would certainly save a lot of desk space, and reinforce the computer-centricity of the whole ecosystem. 

Honestly, for the modest price diff, I cannot imagine why anyone would want an M-model radio instead of a base radio plus Maestro. What a waste of flex(heh)ibility!

Put the radio where it wants to be (near power, ground, and antenna ingress) and the interface where the human wants to be (in the easy chair or on the patio!). And you can still have your wall-of-knobs if that's your thing; just put it in front of the radio. 😁

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 9
    Options

I have had a Maestro ( A model when they first came out) with a 6500. Both worked well. But, given my particular setup, the Maestro tended to be in the way. I like radios with knobs. So, when the M models were announced, I traded the 6500 and Maestro in for a 6600M. Only slightly deeper than my friend's 6600. Best upgrade for my situation. No extra network connection or power connection needed. I can connect to my 6600M with a small laptop and Bluetooth headset from anywhere in my home. If I used SmartLink, I could do it anywhere I could get a good WiFi connection. Using a laptop instead of lugging the Maestro around allows using the laptop for other things besides radio when away from home.

James

WD5GWY

• frc2302
    frc2302 Member ✭✭
    edited January 9
    Options

To be fair, if you already have a radio desk full of gear, and that's where your grounds and coax all terminate and where you like to sit, I can understand that. In my case, I have a very small house, and I built my station from the start to be operated remotely, out of necessity, and found that it was a whole new world.

By the way, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's thought it sure oughta be possible to just pop the front panel off a 6400 and snap a Maestro right onto it .... then there'd be no debate at all! 😀

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Some have both an M series radio and Maestro. It all comes down to what people want. There are use cases for both.

Today I helped a sight impaired gentleman get his 6400M and SmartSDR working in Smart Control mode. it made operating the radio easier for him.

Some do not know about that mode. It allows the operator to have SmartSDR on a large monitor on PC (mouse driven) but still use the buttons and knobs on the radio for common controls such as VFO, slice volume control, AGC-T knobs for both A & B slice plus other controls and programmable function buttons.

He is looking forward to the new Maestro to use with his laptop and external monitor at a second operator position.

73 Dave wo2x

• frc2302
    frc2302 Member ✭✭
    Options

Just curious, why 24V instead of the 12V that most of us run our stations on?

If I wanted to use a step-up converter, what current capacity would it need? I don't see a max current draw listed in the specs ...

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Nine days to “mid-February.” Awaiting delivery.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

You are correct. 9 days to Mid February.

• Carl N8VZ
    Carl N8VZ Member ✭✭
    Options

What OS does it use inside? I've heard rumors that it might be linux rather than Win 10 as used in the A & B models. Is that true? — 73 de Carl N8VZ

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Windows for a variety of reasons. One of which is that if we changed to Linux, the entire application would have to be rewritten from scratch and that wasn't cost effective.

• Jim Moore
    Jim Moore Member ✭✭
    Options

The Maestro reminds me of nothing so much as a ham radio 'busy box.' I use my 'C' at my YL's QTH, while my 6400M is on my desk in my shack. I, too, like a radio with knobs!

I would likely never have bought a Maestro had the SmartSDR interface felt less 'workman-like.' I tried FlexControl and found it not much help.

After nearly three weeks, I've decided that I quite enjoy the Maestro. This little gem has effectively solved my remote issues and gives me a tactile interface, which seems to help me a good deal.

73 de Jim KJ5CBS

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

I am enjoying the new Maestro C here. It allows me to have the 6700, PG XK, TG, and AG in a server cabinet in the garage. Quiet shack as shack PC built with quiet Lian Li case. My external EQ/processor connects to half of the Y cable and a pair of Presonus amplified studio monitors to the other half for receive.

Also in the server cabinet is my LP700 meter with four sensors, a West Mountain Rig Runner 4005i for switching low current DC, IBM Think Center mini PC, and DLI Web Switch Pro with two DLI AC relays. Added an 8 port Gig-E switch.

Everything tied into Node Red for remote control and monitoring from a single web browser.

The shack also has three 32” monitors set up “cockpit style” so I can play radio, surf the web, email, and work.

Dave wo2x

• frc2302
    frc2302 Member ✭✭
    edited April 24
    Options

That sounds like my kinda shack, Dave …

Off topic now, but I'm jealous of your 4005i. I wonder what's going on with West Mountain Radio? I've been after a 10010i since February 2023. Their stock has been dwindling instead of improving ever since, with projected availability dates repeatedly pushed farther out, and now nearly their entire product line is backordered through at least September — even really basic stuff like the small, fused Rig Runners. I thought most of the industry was in a recovery phase post-pandemic, as you folks seem to be, but they still seem to be struggling mightily to get products to sell. ☹️

I want them to stick around, but this has got to be painful for them.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

yes, I was lucky to find a 4005i used.

I was introduced to the owner of WMD thru one of the employees. I explained I wanted to write a Node Red interface for the 4095i (and 10010i). At first the answer was “use our web interface”. When I explained the benefit of having controls and monitoring for all equipment on a single web page he was more receptive and arranged for a 10010i prototype to be sent to me so I could write the Node Red flow. What was interesting is the 10010i was two boards and a ribbon cable. No case.

My Stream Deck has buttons programmed to toggle DC power to the Tuner Genius and Antenna Genius. Also Node Red has the same buttons and read out the current for each device on the button. A sixth button is a voltage readout as measured on the WMR 4005i.

Great product but as you mentioned, hard to get. Evidently a key part is not available and may take a redesign with cost of replacement much higher. Just my thought on the delays.

73 Dave wo2x

• Gary Wise
    Gary Wise Member ✭✭
    Options

I received my Maestro C a few days ago. Working fine.

One thing that I wondered about was the HDMI output. WUXGA is a 16 x 10 aspect ratio. I wanted to use the output to feed an input on my Blackmagic Design ATEM switcher for my licensing classes. But the switcher expects a 16 x 9 signal. Never fear however as the Maestro is smart enough to sense this and falls back to 16 x 9. Works perfectly for my needs without requiring a rescaler.

73 de W4EEY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.