Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW Timing settings with N1MM Plus and Using the PGXL

Options
Mark Griffin
Mark Griffin Member ✭✭

I noticed yesterday that when I was operating the CQMM DX Contest in CW Mode. The reading on the PGXL Program was going from very little watts output to about 1100 or so output. Is this normal? Or is there a way that I can get a more consistent output? I am using a Flexradio 6400M with N1MM Plus. Maybe there is settings within N1MM that would fix this. I don't believe there are any settings with the PGXL to fix this. And I also don't think there are any SmartSDR Settings that will correct this. But then again, I might be totally wrong in my assumption. And help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Griffin, KB3Z

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Mark

The metering in the PG XL is not as fast as an LP100 or similar peak reading watt meter. I use an LP700 with four sensors so I can see input, output, and amp gain.

Dave wo2x

• Russ Ravella
    Russ Ravella Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Dave,

I have an LP500 with two sensors which I put on the input and output of side "A" of the PGXL. Sounds like you might have two there too ? Where do you put your other two sensors ? Input and output of side "B" ?

Thanks, Russ KR6W

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭
    edited April 22
    Options

I went and created into CAT Com Port 7 as Winkeyer

1. I went into N1MM Setup and I changed the Com Port 7 to Winkey.
    2. I then went into the Winkey Section and Enabled the Winkey Speed ****. The timings below are 1,1,0,0,1.
    3. I sent my callsign with the F4 key using 1 watt and my LP-100 Meter was reading that consistently.
    4. I then turned on my PGXL and set my input to 20 watts and sent my Callsign using F4 and was getting a consistent output of 600 watts.
    5. The PGXL App reading is very inconsistent. The LP-100 is definitely more reliable.
    6. I believe I have it working the way it should be.

Mark KB3Z

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Mark

I just answered this in FB.

For the benefit of others, the LP-100 will sample RF much faster by order of magnitudes than the watt meter in the PGXL. This is normal and to be expected especially if you are watching the GUI on Windows.

It is all working as designed and as expected. Both units are doing exactly what they were designed to do.

Often, the watt meter on radio equipment works well enough to tell us we have full power or no power and in the case of the PGXL +/- 10% I think the number is.

What are your expectations?

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭
    Options

Guys,

This is what I did.

1. Made Winkeyer for Com Port 7.
    2. Went into N1MM and edited Com Port 7 by pushing Set and highlighting Winkey.
    3. Went into Winkey and highlighted Use Winkey Speed ****. The timings underneath I picked 1,1,0,0,1.
    4. I hit the F4 Button on my computer and was sending my Callsign. and picked 1 watt. On my LP-100 it was consistently sending out 1 watt.
    5. I then turned on my PGXL and set my input watts to 45 watts. When I hit the F4 Button on my computer I was getting a consistent 1200 watts or so.
    6. You are correct the readings that you see on the PGXL App are not reliable.
    7. I believe I solved my issue.

Mark KB3Z

• Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member ✭✭
    Options

This is what I have done.

1. I set com port 7 in CAT as a Winkeyer Port
    2. I went into N1MM and configured Com Port 7 and highlighted Winkey.
    3. I went into N1MM Winkey and set it to use the Winkey **** and the timings underneath that I used 1,1,0,0,1.
    4. I sent at 1 watt my callsign using the F4 key and it worked just fine.
    5. I then turned on my PGXL and set the input at 20 watts. I have an LP-100 and the output was about 600 watts or so when I pushed the F4 Key.
    6. The reading on the LP-100 is consistent where the reading on the PGXL App is inconsistent.
    7. I believe that Everything is Now Okay.

Mark KB3Z

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.