Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote operation using a Netgear hotspot

Options

I'm planning to move my Flexradio for remote operation to a location that does not have good land-based internet, so I plan to use a hotspot. I am trying out a Netgear Nighthawk M6 Pro, but I have not been successful in port-forwarding it. I wanted to check with the Flex Community to see if anyone has successfully configured a hotspot to access their Flexradio. Thanks, Ed K5YZW

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

The first thing to check is to make sure that the Hotspot has an actual WAN address and not a CGNAT address.

Testing if your WAN IP address is behind Carrier-Grade NAT (CGNAT) involves a few steps that are fairly straightforward. CGNAT is often used by ISPs to manage the limited availability of IPv4 addresses, and it can impact certain types of network activities like hosting servers or peer-to-peer connections. Here’s a simple way to check if you're behind a CGNAT:

1. Check Your IP Address:
      • First, find out the WAN IP address that your router is using. This can usually be seen in the router's web interface under status or network settings.
    2. Compare with Public IP:
      • Visit a website like whatismyip.com to see your public IP address. This is the IP address that the rest of the internet sees for your connection.
    3. Analyze the IP Address:
      • If the IP address you see on your router matches the one you see on the website, your network is not behind CGNAT.
      • If the IP address on your router is different from the one shown on the website, it's possible you are behind CGNAT. Especially, if the IP address on your router is a private IP address (e.g., starts with 10.x.x.x, 100.64.x.x to 100.127.x.x, 172.16.x.x to 172.31.x.x, 192.168.x.x), it strongly suggests CGNAT usage.
    4. Check IP Address Range:
      • IP addresses in the ranges of 100.64.0.0 to 100.127.255.255 are specifically allocated for CGNAT use. If your WAN IP is within this range, your connection is definitely behind CGNAT.
    5. Contact Your ISP:
      • If you need confirmation or are experiencing issues that you suspect are due to CGNAT (like difficulty in hosting servers or using certain online services), contact your ISP. They can tell you definitively if they are using CGNAT and discuss potential solutions, such as providing a public IP address if necessary.

Understanding if you're behind CGNAT is crucial as SmartLink will not easily function if the radio is on a CGNAT address.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.