Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Replacement Mastro Update - SmartControl Screen image

Options
Joe Bales
Joe Bales Member ✭✭
edited April 6 in Maestro

Replacement Maestro received from Flex and it exhibits the same screen after image that the previous one did.

It does settle down as the original but only after the Maestro has been turned off for hours. I guess this is the way they are. This only happens after using the Maestro in Smart Control Mode for some time.

I appreciate Flex sending another one out and although this is a VERY MINOR annoyance having to turn the Maestro off for hours if I want to go from Smart Control and use the Mastro as the Client and not see the screen image and outlines from SmartControl show up on the panadapter, I guess worse things could be happening. And I have accepted this is the way the Maestro is and happy to have the unit in the shack. It is not that bad, and I have to really look for it to see it.

And to respond to Michael Walkers response that my previous choice of "burn-in" on my first post was not a good one. I guess "after-image" would have been a better choice. Like after the eye-doctor looks into your eyes with a bright light that takes a while to subside. This image does go away but only after turning the Maestro off for a while. It is not a huge issue. Really not an issue at this point. I wanted to make sure my original unit did not have a problem.

Thanks to the speedy service and concerns regarding this from Flex Support. I've been a Flex user for 10 years and their service is second to none.

Joe

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

I posted a reply to this on FB as well. It is not Burn In as that was unique to CRT displays.

Image Persistence in LCDs

Image persistence occurs when a static image is displayed for a long time, leading the liquid crystals to "remember" their position, and causing the ghost image. This effect is usually temporary.

It's often caused by the polarization of the liquid crystal elements, which can become fixed in one position after displaying the same image for an extended period.

And, since you move back to a Waterfall, we really don't exercise the pixels enough to 'reset' things.

You can likely reduce the display brightness and see if that helps. Personally, the first thing I do with any display it turn it down to about Zero as they are too bright. I've done that with all my Maestros.

As well, Engineering is looking into some options.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Mike,

Having owned and used a Maestro ( A version) and afterwards, a 6600M, I have never experienced any ghosting or after image, even though I normally keep the brightness level at,or near, full brightness. That includes using SmartControl for many hours at a time. This makes me wonder what is so different in the displays used from the older Maestros and the new Maestro C.

James

WD5GWY

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Hi James

The display technology is different as I am told. I do not have the details as to what the manufacturing technology was in use.

LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) technology has evolved into several types, each with its own set of characteristics and applications. These variations primarily differ in how they control the backlighting of the screen and manage the alignment and movement of the liquid crystals. Here's an overview of the main types of LCD displays:

1. TN (Twisted Nematic)

• Pros: Fast response times, low production costs, and high refresh rates.
    • Cons: Limited viewing angles and color reproduction.
    • Uses: Common in budget monitors, gaming monitors, and other applications where high refresh rates are more critical than color accuracy.

2. IPS (In-Plane Switching)

• Pros: Better viewing angles and color reproduction compared to TN panels.
    • Cons: Slightly slower response times and more expensive to produce.
    • Uses: Preferred for professional photo and video editing, smartphones, tablets, and monitors where color accuracy and viewing angles are important.

3. VA (Vertical Alignment)

• Pros: Higher contrast ratios and better color reproduction than TN panels, with better black levels.
    • Cons: Slower response times than TN and can suffer from ghosting; viewing angles are better than TN but generally not as good as IPS.
    • Uses: Common in TVs and monitors that prioritize contrast and are used for general entertainment or gaming where deep blacks are important.

4. PLS (Plane to Line Switching)

• Pros: Similar to IPS, with even better viewing angles and brightness levels.
    • Cons: Can be more expensive; similar to IPS in terms of color accuracy and response times.
    • Uses: Developed by Samsung as an improvement over IPS, used in high-end monitors and screens where image quality is paramount.

5. AHVA (Advanced Hyper-Viewing Angle)

• Pros: Combines the advantages of IPS, including wide viewing angles and good color accuracy.
    • Cons: Name can be confusing as it sounds similar to VA technology but performs more like IPS.
    • Uses: Utilized in high-end monitors and displays, emphasizing viewing angles and color accuracy.

6. MVA (Multi-domain Vertical Alignment) and PVA (Patterned Vertical Alignment)

• Pros: Offer better viewing angles and color reproduction than traditional VA panels, with high contrast ratios.
    • Cons: Can have slower response times compared to TN and IPS, with potential for color shift when viewed from an angle.
    • Uses: Aimed at reducing the shortcomings of standard VA panels, used in some TVs and monitors.

Each type of LCD technology has been developed to address specific needs and limitations of earlier versions, ranging from improving viewing angles and color reproduction to enhancing response times for gaming. The choice between these types depends on the specific requirements of the use case, such as color accuracy for professional photo editing, fast response times for gaming, or high contrast for movie watching.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Mike. Lots of good information to digest!

James

WD5GWY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.