Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Mic Connector

Options
AA1SS
AA1SS Member ✭✭

Who is the Rocket Scientist who came out with this ridiculous CTIA plug interface . . . There is no other ham equipment out there that uses that interface . . . What is up with that??

Now requires MORE adapters or new headsets

Comments

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

I used an existing Y cable I had for my laptop (CTIA). One side to Presonus stereo amplified speakers. Other to my audio coming from W2IHY system. Getting excellent audio reports.

I also have the RS55SL headset which plugs directly in. I get very good audio reports.

While the connector requires changes, the Maestro A/D converter is very good.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Back in the 90's, when I managed a Ham Radio store, the same thing happened when the move was made from the 8 pin Round Foster connector the the RJ45.

The reason was that is was more cost effective to use an RF45 in manufacturing and it took up less space, which is true.

The move to CTIA was due to space and the availability of hundreds of headsets rather than just a few. As an example, my Koss SB45 for $40 is one of the best sound DX headsets I have used. And, that is from the reports I get on the air.

No matter what, change will happen.

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I've never had a headset and have been looking for one to use with my new Maestro. I was going to order the Radiosport. But, given the price, that's hardly an impulse buy. For just 10% of the price of the Radiosport (and overnight delivery by 8AM from Amazon) I've just ordered the Koss SB45 (just over $32). Thanks (again) Mike!

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

on the cheaper side of things you can try a Gaming Headset that should work as long as it has a CTIA 1/8" (3.5mm) connector on it, With that model of Koss you will need a adapter for it to go to a CTIA plug.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Oh, my Koss isn't CTIA, but I use the the Y cable. You can also order the Y cable from Amazon. We just stock it for those that want to order from one place.

• Jim Moore
    Jim Moore Member ✭✭
    Options
    Actually, Mike, you don't stock it. I'm waiting for your next shipment to arrive, and although I have my Maestro 'C', I have no way to connect the FHM-3 I bought from Flex to the 'C' ... largely because I wanted to buy everything from Flex.

I'm not complaining; I ordered the Amazon components and they should arrive over the weekend.

The 'C' is a beautiful piece of gear, and I've ordered the Koss SB45. I haven't used Koss headphones since my broadcast days in the 1970s, but your recommendation nudged me to give them another try.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

I am using the Maestro C and when portable (or around the house but not in shack) I am using the RadioSport RS55SL headset. Not cheap but great reports and to me better, fuller audio than the KOSS with Y cable (I have both).

I will be in the hospital the end of the month for a few days (hopefully) and will have my wife bring my backpack with Maestro and RS headset. Need something to do in middle of night.

Dave wo2x

• AA1SS
    AA1SS Member ✭✭
    Options

Purchased this headset for the maestro . . . Works great and nice audio reports.

Need to turn on mic bias for it to work

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NR2TJP9?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.