Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

24 VDC Power Supply & Distribution?

Options
Peter K1PGV
Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
edited March 4 in Maestro

The Maestro C will be, when it arrives, the second piece of 24VDC gear in my shack (the other being the controller for my Ciro Mazzoni Stealth Loop). This makes me wonder if it wouldn’t be a good idea to create a shack-wide 24V power system, like we typically do for 12V.

Maybe a decent quality 24V (linear?) power supply… a simple fused distribution panel using connectors other than PowerPoles (to avoid unhappy accidents). The Maestro draws 4A and the Loop controller draws 2A… so a supply that provides 10A would be more than enough. Of course, shopping for power supplies is great fun — the possibilities and the range of prices is seemingly endless.

Has anybody else given any thought to this? Anybody have any pointers, ideas, or suggestions?

Comments

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

You may consider just a low power (<200W) DC BOOST device, with or without a 32V super capacitor (2 X 16V). Note: Some generate EMI.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have 19V monitors and a Geekom mini computer like a generic Intel NUC that run off of 19V and I have used a a couple DC to DC Buck Booster to run these devices from the 14.2 Volt station Power supply and I have had no noticeable EMI with the ones I use with the ferrite Toroid's on the Input and Output wiring, I feed a Automotive or Marine Fuse block with the 19 Volt for Distribution and fusing.

I think that the same 19 Volt will charge and run the Maestro C just not quite as fast. The Batteries are 14.9 Volt Batteries so it should charge fine just not as fast.

The Problem is the Charger / Maestro C mating Plug NOT the supply voltage. I have NOT received my Maestro C yet to see exactly what socket is on the Maestro C, It looks like a Mini-DIN plug but the Pictures I see on the WEB site is not good enough to see exactly.

Bret, WX7Y

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited March 5
    Options

Bret

It is a 4 Pin (non-Din) plug. The device will run on a much lower voltage although battery charging will be affected.

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Mike-VA3MW Thanks for the pinout. That’s very helpful.

The device will run on a much lower voltage although battery charging will be affected

Interesting. So… if I have no battery in my Maesteo C, what’s the minimum voltage on which it’ll run? Will it run on 12V?

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks a lot Mike for the info and the Graphic, I have seen those before so now I can go on the Hunt for one

Bret WX7Y

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited March 6
    Options

I learned, the hardware way, they are a variety of adapters of that connect to a Cannon connector.

Make sure you take the time to 100% review the internal wiring of any adapter and then measure it with an Ohm meter. I saw one of those on Amazon I think that the wiring was shifted 90 degrees meaning that positive and negative were shorted out.

As for 12V, it might work, but I haven't tested it. I did ask and there was a concern that the CPU might not start all time. We certainly won't support that input voltage on a support call as we will always ask that you test it with the battery or the AC power supply.

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Mike-VA3MW Thanks very much for the clear and comprehensive reply, as well as the caveats. It really is much appreciated.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Anyway Thanks Mike for the information and I really don't trust the Connectors on Amazon or eBay that don't have a part number so no worries there.

https://community.flexradio.com/discussion/comment/20608242#Comment_20608242

It says in the Maestro C specs you posted last October the Power connector is the PD-40 connector and the PDP-40 is the mating connector for the PD-40 looking at the PD-40 manufacture WEB site.

I wish FLEX would update the online documentation and FAQ to reflect the Maestro C with actual Pictures and DELEATE ALL the incorrect information to give us a better understanding of what and where each connector is located, the rendering of the back panel is not the same as a real Picture with good lighting and description of the Jacks.

Oh you'll notice that a change was made from your post from the October 23 Specs that the MIC / Headset jack is now a TRRS jack and NOT a TRS connector.

PLEASE update the SPECS and Pictures so we have accurate information to work with out here in HAM Land.

October 2023 Specs

Connectors

• HDMI display out - Type A
    • 1920 x 1200 WUXGA Display
    • RJ45- Ethernet 100/1000 mb/sec
    • CW Key - ⅛” TRS
    • Powered Speakers - ⅛” TRS 3 watts 
    • Line Out - ⅛” TRS
    • Push to talk (PTT) - ⅛” TS
    • Headphones - ⅛” TRS 16 or 32 ohms
    • 24V DC 4 Pin D - PD-40V

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

Bret, I thought I fixed all of those. Can you email me the links of where you are finding the errors please and I'll look into it.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yea I'll look this evening again and see if I can track them down, I attached the Link in my above email so it should be there for starters

I am changing out my Email service so it will take me a bit

Thanks and 73

Bret

WX7Y

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 4
    Options

If anybody but me still cares about "what exactly is the right plug for the Maestro power socket", officially it's a KYCON KPPX-4P equivalent. The data sheet is here: https://www.kycon.com/Catalog_PDF/KPPX.pdf

• Mike-VA3MW
    edited April 4
    Options

Are you sure that one uses all 4 pins?

Have you actually used it?

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Well, it's just a plug… so you can wire as many or as few pins as you like. But it is, quite literally, the connector that Mean Well specs, according to their power supply data sheet.

Have you actually used it?

Not yet, no I haven't. So, point taken.

I do have a handful of them on order, though, if that counts for anything.

I'll report back here when they arrive and I've actually attempted to plug one into the back of my Maestro C.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

If it is the blank plug, then you should be ok as long as you wire it correctly.

The configuration that Meanwell uses is called R7B (the last 3 digits on the power supply part number).

Just like most things, there is no 'standard' so we have to double check.

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The configuration that Meanwell uses is called R7B 

Yes… that's the Mean Well part number, which Mean Well describes, in their data sheets, as being "KYCON KPPX-4P equivalent" — It's from the Mean Well data sheet that I got the part number — I didn't look at it and guess, or make it up 😀

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

We have just added Maestro C power supplies to the store if anyone needs a spare:

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 4
    Options

Oh, NICE! Thanks for that.

I'd like to have one upstairs and one downstairs.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.