Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

AG F/W Now 4.1.8

Options
Russ Ravella
Russ Ravella Member ✭✭✭

4O3A has updated their Antenna Genius firmware from v4.1.7 to v4.1.8. Has anyone tried it ?

Russ KR6W

Best Answers

• Phil VK4KW
    Phil VK4KW Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

The latest version still doesn't include the aspects that I requested (as per the 4O3A sales literature) to allow full 3 x OM visibility and control when used within a 4x8 Superswitch arrangement.

Only the rig/s attached to AG1 can have full operational access to the 3 OM modules, which renders the 4x8 approach as somewhat compromised as only 2 (connected to AG1) of the 4 ( two other users connected to AG2) users can manipulate all of the relay selections.

I'll update my 4.1.7 firmware when the new version fully implements the functionality.

Phil

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

I have not extensively tested in SO2R as I have been tied up with medical issues.

There was a bug in 4.1.7 where the TX antenna could be different than the RX antenna (I was calling a DXPedition for 5 minutes without a response only to realize TX antenna was the dummy load). That is fixed in 4.1.8.

I do not have a list of other fixes. As Mike stated, the fix list needs to come from 4O3A. Flex is recommending that 4.1.8 be the current supported version, but if 3.1.5 and TG 1.1.20 is working fine, you don't have to upgrade.

There are some exotic configurations using stacked AG's and multiple OM modules. Questions on which firmware to use should be directed to 4O3A as they are the best source to provide correct answers.

73 Dave wo2x

Answers

• KH6XX
    KH6XX Member ✭✭
    Options

I did the upgrade from v4.1.7 to v4.1.8 and had nothing but troubles and had to do a firmware reset on both 8x2 AG's as I use a stack without the OM modules. Maybe with a single AG it would have been different. I gave up as this is contest weekend and just downgraded to v3.1.5. V4.1.7 worked great for me and I found it much better than v3.1.5. I really hesitate to install new F/W directly again rom 403A as I suspect there are reasons why Flex has yet to release a v4.**** on their site. I pushed the envelope a bit too far this time.....

Randy

• Russ Ravella
    Russ Ravella Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Ok, thanks for the responses Phil and Randy. I'm not sure what the problem with getting a properly functioning AG v4 version is. I exchanged emails with Marko back in November 23 about it. He was aware of the issues and after being diverted to other projects seemed to be back working on the AG f/w project. And in fact he released an update that included the "set both ports to the same band" toggle that's there in v4.1.7/8 now the next week. Then everything seemed to stop.

There are significant issues with both the AG and TG f/w in MultiFlex mode and I wonder if they're still working on that too. Anyway, hopefully they'll have debugged version of both out soon. And hopefully Flex will have a version of SSDR/ f/w with all the remaining MultiFlex bugs fixed out soon as well.

Russ KR6W

• KH6XX
    KH6XX Member ✭✭
    Options

After running the contest this past weekend I remember why I upgraded the Antenna Genius to v4.7.1 - - as I had issues with the AG randomly disconnecting while running v3.5.1. v4.7.1 cleaned that up. I am again attempting to upgrade to v.4.1.8 but first I upgraded the TXGL back to v1.2.11 to support the Antenna Genius's running v.4.1.8. I noticed in the TGXL Device Setting > Genius Integration, I am not seeing the serial number of the AG. Is TGXL v1.2.11 downward compatible with AG v3.5.1? Just wanted to confirm the TGXL is operating correctly after the upgrade before upgrading the Antenna Genius. The 403a website does not address downward compatibility.

Randy KH6XX

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

As of today, this is what FlexRadio recommends. This can differ from the software that 4O3A has available.

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/20826281594011-Configuring-the-Dream-Station-Flex-6000-PGXL-TGXL-AG-for-proper-operation

• Russ Ravella
    Russ Ravella Member ✭✭✭
    Options

If "… this is what FlexRadio recommends" why does your referenced document list AG v3.1.5, but the links provided at the top of this forum list AG v4.1.8 ?

Russ KR6W

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Good question, and it can be a variety of reasons.

I checked with the Support team who makes the final decision on supported versions. They confirmed that 4.1.8 is the current version but that the document requires updating. Thanks for pointing that out. Sometimes the documentation does lag behind reality. Ken is going to do that tomorrow assuming nothing else comes up.

However, it is always good to check with us for a formal update on the supported versions. A support ticket is the best way to do this if you can't find any 'current' news.

For others, the terms "recommended software" and "supported software" are often used by software developers, vendors, and service providers to guide users in setting up and maintaining their systems. Understanding the distinction between these two is crucial for ensuring optimal performance, compatibility, and security.

Recommended Software

• Definition: Recommended software refers to the specific versions or configurations that the vendor believes will offer the best performance, user experience, or enhanced features when used with their product or service.
    • Scope: It's usually narrower, focusing on the optimal choices rather than all possible options. These recommendations are based on thorough testing and evaluation by the vendor.
    • Purpose: To guide users towards the setups that will likely result in superior stability, functionality, and overall satisfaction. While you may receive support outside of these recommendations, the recommended environment is where the vendor expects the product to perform its best.

Reasons for Differences

1. Performance: Recommended software is often more modern or optimized for current hardware and software standards, ensuring better performance than the broader list of supported software.
    2. Features: Newer software versions typically introduce new features or improvements. Recommendations aim to enhance user experience by leveraging these updates.
    3. Testing and Validation: Vendors have limited resources to test every possible combination of software and hardware. Recommendations are usually based on extensive testing, whereas support levels may only require basic compatibility checks.
    4. Lifecycle Considerations: Recommended software often aligns with products still in their active support lifecycle, ensuring that users have access to updates and fixes. In contrast, supported software can include older versions that, while still compatible, may no longer receive updates.

In summary, while supported software ensures that a product or service will function as intended, recommended software is about optimizing that functionality to achieve the best possible outcome in terms of performance, features, and security. Choosing recommended software setups can lead to a smoother, more secure user experience that fully capitalizes on the product's capabilities.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Note on differences between AG 3.1.5/TG 1.1.20 and AG 4.1.8/TG 1.2.11

The older firmware pair used the AG IP address in the TG XL configuration. (AG 3.1.5/TG 1.1.20)

The newer firmware (AG 4.1.8/TG 1.2.11) Uses a pulldown to select the S/N of the AG.

The correct TG XL firmware needs to be used with the corresponding AG firmware.

Also if using a full Flex/4O3A station (no YaeKenCom exciters), make sure in Genius Integration tab in TG XL setup that Power Genius is unchecked.

If using an OEM radio (non-Flex), you want to enable Power Genius if you have one. Enter the IP of the amp and select the port or ports that have a non-Flex radio connected. The Power Genius integration is for ONLY non-Flex radios.

Going forward the current supported firmware for 4O3A products is (as of 4/3/24):

PG XL 3.8.8

TG XL 1.2.11

AG 4.1.8

Dave wo2x

• Russ Ravella
    Russ Ravella Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the clarification Dave. I was just finishing up a response to the one before yours which made no sense. For one thing, the forum still shows TG at v1.1.20 while Flex is stating in that response that AG v4.1.8 is recommended to use with it and the cited document would be updated to reflect that.

So are you saying that the pretty significant bugs we all were seeing in the 1.2.11/4.1.7 pair are now fixed by the update from 4.1.7 to 4.1 8 ? That would be great because I wasn't even able to select an antenna properly in SO2R mode previously.

Thanks as always Dave.

Russ KR6W

• Mike-VA3MW
    edited April 2
    Options

The list of fixes need to come from 4O3A for the AG and TG software. They are the developers so we look to them for the detailed update.

Once they pass on that information to me, I can publish it. We have also asked that they keep an eye on this forum. Sometimes they do, but mostly they are so busy they don't have time to monitor these forums. It is a very small business and they don't have the manpower to dedicate to doing that. The Tuner Genius and Antenna Genius are only resold by FlexRadio. We do limited support on those products before escalating back to 4O3A.

The Power Genius is different as they built it for FlexRadio and FlexRadio wrote a chuck of the internal firmware as that is part of the licensing of the Power Genius.

• Russ Ravella
    Russ Ravella Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Yes. And once again, back to the point …

Dave, are you seeing that the problems we've all been discussing for the past several weeks have been fixed by the update from 4.1.7 to 4.1.8 ?

Thanks, Russ KR6W

• Russ Ravella
    Russ Ravella Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response as always. Yeah, all Flexer's know 4O3A is responsible for TGXL and AG F/W. But as is often repeated here the problem is they often don't respond. Sorta like Flex Radio. I've had a question in to them for well over a month - crickets. And anyway, what I really wanted was your personal experience so thanks for that ! We'll just have to wait and see how things shake out I guess. I'd like to believe FR is "encouraging" 4O3A on private channels.

Hope you're feeling better Dave !

Russ KR6W

• Russ Ravella
    Russ Ravella Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Dave,

Just wanted to follow up on this. Recall I reported there were issues selecting antennas in SO2R mode with 1.2.11/4.1.7 and I was asking here if the new 4.1.8 fixed those issues. I'd communicated with Marko about it and he said fixing them was on his list so it seemed possible.

Curiosity got the best of me and I decided to upgrade and check and sure enough on first blush it looks like he fixed the issue. No problem switching in SO2R mode at all that I can see. There was also a problem with the AG not switching between SO2R stations on TX along with the PGXL and TGXL. You had to toggle the red "TX" button on the slice flag on the station you wanted to have control in addition to just transmitting (which could lead to a serious problem with SteppIR antennas for one thing), and that appears to be fixed now too. At the moment, I'm not seeing ANY bugs in the new 1.2.11/4.1.8 pair though there's a lot of cool stuff they can do I don't use.

Anyway just wanted to post that report in case it's useful to anyone. Hope you're doing well health wise Dave !

73 Russ KR6W

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.