Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Why No CAT Control on PGXL Port (VFO?) B ?? v3.8.8

Options
W9EZ
W9EZ Member ✭✭
edited March 28 in Power Genius XL Amplifier

I am trying to understand why a limitation was put on port B to not accept CAT Control in the new PGXL v3.8.8 firmware. Why would Flex reduce the flexibility of rig control on an amplifier port. This is one of the greatest assets of the PGXL. Those of us who have flex native radios on port A and other radios using CAT control on port B will now have to change the station configuration.. Causing complete resets and reprogramming of TGXL and AGXL configurations. I'm very confused by this decision.

EDIT: OK, Reading this again I realized that it states VFO B and not Port B. So now I am just trying to understand what that means and to clarify that Cat is still usable on both ports before I upgrade. I provided the statement below.

CAT Restriction: Limited CAT system implementation exclusively to VFO A to streamline
operations. The PGXL will ignore any CAT commands sent to it that are specifically
related to VFO B on the exciters. This does not apply to FLEX-6000 exciters.

Tagged:

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited March 28
    Options

On the PGXL CAT works on both Port A and Port B.

CAT Restriction: Limited CAT system implementation exclusively to VFO A to streamline operations. The PGXL will ignore any CAT commands specifically related to VFO B on the exciters. This does not apply to FLEX-6000 exciters.

VFO B is not Port B. VFO B is the 2nd VFO on the radio, regardless of the Port on the PGXL.

On OEM Exciters (Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, Elecraft, etc) the 2nd VFO sends different CAT commands if the VFO in use is VFO B and they can be very confusing for the PGXL to do the correct thing.

This is not an issue with FlexRadio exciters and in order to benefit from all the features, using a FlexRadio exciter such as the FLEX-6000 is recommended.

• W9EZ
    W9EZ Member ✭✭
    Options

Very Good .. I believe that I was finally getting to that conclusion but got derailed with terminology.

Thank you Mike!!

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

As Mike pointed out, with OEM exciters (whether connected to port A or port B of amp, the amp will only follow VFO A frequency.

In a hybrid installation that has a Flex on one port and OEM radio via CAT/CI-V on other port and also has the TG XL (and possibly AG), make sure device firmware versions are current. In TG XL there is a Genius Integration tab. Check box for Power Genius and enter amp IP. Also use pulldown and select which port of amp has the OEM radio connected. This allows the amp to take frequency info and send to the TG XL, only requiring one CAT/CI-V connection to the amp for both amp and tuner.

it is important that the Power Genius is not checked in TG XL Genius Integration tab for all Flex station. If using an OEM (YaeKenCom) transceiver, only select ports in which the OEM radios are connected.

Fill in info for AG if you have one which allows AG antenna to populate the band configuration tab in TG XL/Other tab. You will still need to use a method of getting radio band to AG in BCD format.

Some installations can get complicated. If you have issues, list your station components and I’ll help. Also you can use our Help Desk syste.

73 Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.