Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to connect the FHM3 via the Y cablew to the Maestro C

Options
Bob  KN4HH
Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭

My Maestro C arrived today and I have tried every combination of connections with the FHM3 and Y cable to the Maestro and I can not get any TX audio. I have looked in the User Guide, Quick Start Guide and Y cable description and can find no connection details.

Any suggestions.

Bob, KN4HH

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Bob, have you selected the proper mic input?

From the Maestro User Guide V3.x:

I am assuming that this hasn't changed (much) from the A and B versions.

• Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, I tried all the selections. The Maestro C selections are different.

• Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    Options

Here is the connection that works.

FHM3 3.5mm plugs into the Y cable marked Mic.

Make no connection to the other Y cable connector.

Use RCA to 3.5mm adapter on FHM3 RCA plug.

Plug the adapter into the PTT input on Maestro C

Go to TX menu and select M-HDST

73, Bob, KN4HH

• Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    Options

Sorry, forgot to mention that the Y cable male plugs into the Maestro C HDST input.

Bob, KN4HH

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Bob for the REAL Pics this is something I have been asking for but all I get is the concept graphic's, Real Pictures are worth a million words for those of us trying to get stuff together here for our Maestro's to show up.

I really dislike having to use Adapters to make anything the correct gender so I hope someday someone will build a MIC cable with the correct ends on it, The proper Heil Headset adapter etc. I had a Maestro A and all my Mics for it which I still have have the RJ45 connector and so I have to come up with an adapter for my Heil HandyMic and the FHM-2 with the RJ45's.

Thanks again and 73's

Bret/WX7Y

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have a question for you Bob if you can answer it for me

Does inserting the MIC adapter into the Maestro HDST socket also mute the internal Maestro C Speaker?

I hope it doesn't Mute it and there is a Mute control for the Internal speaker like all the other FLEX control panels.

Thanks again

• Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    Options

No, when you put a mic only into the Y cable and connect it to HDST, RX audio is not muted.

Bob, KN4HH

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That is great News, Thank you for a real life hands on response.

• Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    Options

You’re welcome. While I have your attention, you replied to my post some time ago about a UDP work around using T-Mobile. I would appreciate details on your approach. I am good on QRZ for direct email.

Thanks, Bob, KN4HH

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

While we are on the topic of the Y cables, I just finished up my re-done Y cable I bought on Amazon and I had some Chassis TRS connectors and so I scrounged what heat shrink I had and decided to put a PROPER Heil Head set Y spitter together and it rings out (old telephone man term) to be correct with a TS connector plugged in like the Heil Head set uses, I had to use what heat shrink I had in all the correct sizes to use as a strain relief so pardon the Colors not Pink.

As you can imagine the Wires in the Y adapter cable are SMALL they are copper and soldered easy just with my old eyes I had to have the cheaters on.

I like others didn't want to HACK the $300.00 Heil Headset MIC cable and use a TRS connector on it to save a $7.50 Y adapter.

here is a picture of the finished simple project

• Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    Options

Nice work. I took the lazy way out and purchased the Flex cable. I plan to use my Heil Pro headphones on the headphone connector on the Y cable.

Bob, KN4HH

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Bob

The Y cable FLEX sells won't work with the Heil Headsets that have the TS MIC connector, that's why I redid this one

• Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks so much for that. Looks like you had the best solution all along.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

The challenge with Heil Mics is that that use a TS (Mono) on the Mic connector.

The Y connector is a TRS connector (Stereo) and when you plug a TS into the TRS jack, it shorts out the R to ground and you don't get any audio.

There are several fixes.

One is to simply change the connector from a TS to a TRS. The other kludgy fix is to take a TRS Y to TS splitter (from Amazon) and then just use 1/2 of it. Ken, NM9P had that idea. Once you figure out which side you want, then cut off the one you don't need.

We did discuss the new HDST connector with the new Heil Management team during HamCation in February and they were very interested in having a working solution.

If this is a problem you are experiencing, I urge you to reach out to Heil, after all, they are in the headphone business, and ask if they will be producing a solution for the Maestro C. This is something they do specialize in.

Make sure you go to their new Amateur Radio Web page. The more of you that call, the more they understand the business requirements.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.