Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can I use my FHM-3 Flex Microphone in my new Maestro C?

Options
K5EBQ
K5EBQ Member ✭✭

I ordered the cable advertised and it arrived today with some other accessories. I thought I had ordered the correct thing to have the FHM-3 made useable on the Maestro C.

Any assistance on how to get it going or what microphone do I need to order? This combination doesn't work.

Thanks for the assistance,

John-K5EBQ

Best Answer

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited February 28 Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, it is covered in the Maestro C FAQ. You will need the Y cable kit.

Maestro C FAQs:  https://bit.ly/maestrocfaq 

Answers

• K5EBQ
    K5EBQ Member ✭✭
    Options

I have that cable and have been unable to make it work. I’ll take another look.

• K5EBQ
    K5EBQ Member ✭✭
    Options

I got it working. Thanks for the confirmation.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Glad to hear it. Do you remember what setting you had to change?

• Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭
    Options

I too have an FHM-3, but I'm not sure a Y-Cable is the right answer - My FHM-3 variant has an RJ-45 cable only, intended (and used) with the Maestro B.

MC-FHM-3-RJ45

Ideally a new cable, Maestro C compatible, would be the solution without the need for clunky adapters along the way... I understand such a single-cable solution may arrive, but timing and the specific part-number elude me.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Y cable won't work for the RJ45 connector.

I built my RJ45 adapter but I have no Maestro C YET to test it on using a Ethernet CAT 6 Cable extension with a Male and a Female Ends and cut it in half and found the correct Pin-Outs for the Maestro C and put the MIC Audio Sleeve on the TRRS connector and split the wire the MIC uses for ground and connected to the GND Ring2 on the TRRS Connector and the Ground Sleeve for the PTT TS connecter, PTT wire from the MIC cable goes to the TS connectors tip.

The 2nd Ground to the PTT Sleeve may not be needed BUT without having a Maestro C to test it on I figured if the Grounds on the MIC and PTT jacks are isolated from one another on the Maestro C both would need a Ground connection so I went ahead and added it in my adapter cable.

The Ethernet jumper cable uses 100% copper stranded wire so soldering was easy and should hold up, I put heat shrink tubing over the wires to each Connector.

I hope my Maestro C gets shipped soon so I can test my RJ45 to the TRRS and TS Y connector Adapter and start using it.

• Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    Options

My Maestro C arrived today along with the FHM3 and Y cable. I have tried every combination of connections and can not get any TX audio. I looked in the User Guide, Quick Start Guide, and Y cable description. No mention is made of connecting the FHM3 to the Maestro.

Any suggestions, please.

Bob, KN4HH

• K5EBQ
    K5EBQ Member ✭✭
    Options

Bob,

I plugged the phono plug into the adapter supplied with the Y cable. and the 3.5mm connector into the "TRS-MIC" receptacle of the Y cable. That leaves the headphone connector from the Y connector open and unused.

It took me many trials and errors but it works OK now once I cracked the code!

Best of look to you.

John-K5EBQ

• Mike-VA3MW
    edited March 23
    Options

Bob

• Make sure you are in LSB or USB mode
    • Go to MENU / Profiles / MIC and select Default FHM-3
    • While you are there, go to Phone/CW and turn on "Level Meter During Receive"
    • Exit that menu
    • Tap the meter on the top right until you see one labeled "Level". This allows you to see MIC audio Levels without having to go into TX
    • Now, press the TX MENU button on the right side middle inwards. This is the MIC SPEED / PWR multi function knob.
    • Select HDST from the panel on the left.

Talk into the hand mic (you don't even need to go into TX) and watch and see if the level meter indicates its working. You can adjust the MIC audio with the same knob on the right, this time the inner knob.

Assuming you have the headset on the right part of the Y, this should work.

• Jim Moore
    Jim Moore Member ✭✭
    Options
    Mike, this got my 'C' on the air, so thanks for posting the sequence.

Out of curiosity, is this particular process in the current Maestro User Guide? If it is, I missed it completely.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

I don't think so. I did add it to the FAQ though. Glad you got it working.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.