Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New Version 3.7.3 looks good

Options
KD0RC
KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

I haven't done extensive testing yet, but so far, the new version (3.7.3) is working great with my 6400. All of my third-party software and hardware (TeensyMaestro) are looking good and SmartSDR is working great as well.

I noticed that now the backlight setting is saved and my CW pitch is saved. It is nice to not have to reset them after an upgrade!

Tagged:

Comments

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 19
    Options

It does look good after a seemingly interminable wait for the download which took 45 minutes. Why vastly inflate the program size for the sake of "commercial products" instead of allocating different s/w to those units and keeping the previously streamlined SSDR for us hams? Not everybody has fast internet which may be like a bullet in the USA but is slow as a slug out here in the boonies.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Update for my 6600M went smoothly. So far, no issues encountered. Also downloaded SmartSDR on my computer. All my settings were back. It is great we are getting improvements to SmartSDR.

James

WD5GWY

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

As I understand it, this isn't just an update to SmartSDR, but also the Firmware for the radios. If the firmware contains updates or improvements that effect both Amateur and Flex Radio's commercial products, it makes sense to have them in a single update. I seriously doubt that there is anything in the update that is exclusive to Flex Radio's commercial/military, systems. I doubt that would be permitted by the government.

I am sorry it took so long for you to update your radio. I have had super slow internet for many years in the past. So, I can understand your frustration.

James

WD5GWY

• johnn1jm
    johnn1jm Member ✭✭
    edited February 19
    Options

I first upgraded the firmware from Mac SSDR. Went very smoothly. Cold booted and then installed SSDR on my PC. All is well.

John N1JM

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Braved the much-awaited V3.7.x. So My network is one subnet and has two computers in the shack and two radios. There are other computers and phones in the house all on wifi. First update went to my antique XEON with Jury Rigged Windows 11 Pro 23H2... Rebooted and brought back up the computer, while the download was going to the main windows 11pro 22H2 computer. It will not update to more advanced version like the 23H2 machine as it isn't Jury-Rigged to ignore the fact that Core Isolation, and Memory Protection is turned off to get along with the CAT and DAX drivers.... UNLESS, you guys fixed that and I can turn that on. I'd rather not JURY-RIG my main computer's O/S to trick it while there is still a DRIVER issue.

Only thing I noticed was RADIO A had a cat and dax issue and wsjtx would error. System Control connected to the B radio. I was still downloading for B on the main computer and the Cat and DAX connected to the wrong radio.

I did my initial tests on A and it took a bit of time to figure out the Cat and Dax issue. The thing only connected to last radio connected... AHAH.... So something to watch out for with multi radio networks. I haven't split my SWITCH into sub nets as it doesn't appear it needs it yet.

Updated radio B and was ready for weirdness, caught the connect to last radio and life was good. I don't have any high-power filters nor a second amp and my switch is not a 2X8 it is just a DXE 1X8 and my EA4TX controller will need to be modified to get 2x8 functionality. Before I can really test the whole system... I'm not looking for SO2R, but Multi-TWO full power type Simulcast operation. But as far as one radio goes, like I've had running here the last 5 years it makes contacts and everything looks good so far. I'd really call it a smooth upgrade. Erika K0DD

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 20
    Options

Hello James, thank you for your empathy regarding my Internet speed. The reason I moaned about the size of the download is because in reply to this posting https://community.flexradio.com/discussion/8029708/smartsdr-size-increase?utm_source=community-search&utm_medium=organic-search&utm_term=smartsdr+size

where the author highlights the SmartSDR download size increase from 88MB to 406MB, Dave WO2X says it is due to support for commercial products. Why do hams have to bear the inconvenience? In fact, on a UK based chat room today, SmartSDR has been referred to BloatSDR. Now, don't get me wrong, Flex SDR is vastly superior to anything else even though not one other SDR radio's software comes anywhere close to 400+MB even with firmware included. For that reason, even though Flex make us hams take up the you know what, I will take it on the chin. Not that I have any choice - but Flex is the best. Still, having to bear 45 minutes wait to get each new version now only shows that the commercial side, who probably have lightning internet, should have their own version and leave us with the streamlined version.

• Chris WX7V
    Chris WX7V Member ✭✭
    Options

It would be nice to know what is included in the new installer. We agree the the new license agreement but I can't figure out what else is being installed.

Can we get an official manifest form Flex? SmartSDR 3.5.9 was 76MB, 3.7.3 was 416MB.

Chris de WX7V

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

I can't answer this here, but if it is critical to you, you may wish to open a support ticket.

• k0oks
    k0oks Member ✭✭
    Options

Can't like you don't know the answer, or can't like you are not allowed to?

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

It would be interesting to know why the dramatic increase in the firmware size. Maybe, it's the upcoming Ham Radio Deathstar upgrade! As many full bandwidth panadapters as you have monitors to display them on. All known modes, plus, the main upgrade, integrated operation with Alexa. Alexa, work all band,all mode, DXCC for me. Oh,and make me a Latte while you are at it!

James

WD5GWY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.