Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PGXL temperature versus RF power output

Options
I have the latest v3.8.4 software, I have used it with ''S'' & ''C'' and If I was calling for +5 minutes without an answer for contest or running a net, the RF output will start to get lower by 200 w from the original 1.5 Kw (50-55w in). Mostly when it gets +53c and higher. Often reaching +62c from +1 minutes transmission for SSB mode.
I would see a faster cooling down in Standard mode if the bias was turn off during receiving.
Why keeping bias 4, is it for those SO2R?
Better -3rd-5th IMD average?
Could we get a software update for the Standard mode only bias off?
Thank you
Rejean, va2am

Best Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

The BIAS is kept at 4A in contest mode to allow for faster power up.

In standard mode, it reduces to keep the heat down.

62C isn't very hot considering you are driving it to almost full power.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Correct. :)

We do a number of things that others do not do.

Especially when it comes to the onboard filtering that routes harmonics to a dummy load and not have them reflected internally. This results in a much cleaner RF signal.

Answers

• Rejean Leveille
    Rejean Leveille Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Mike, Thank you, this is an unique bias RF amplifier setup not seen from others

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.