Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FA and FB Command Question

Options
Alan
Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

From the Flex CAT Manual: https://edge.flexradio.com/www/uploads/20200818184953/SmartSDR-CAT-User-Guide-1.pdf

It shows the FA and FB commands are both available:

Reading this, I assume FA will set/return slice A frequency and FB slice B frequency.

In testing the commands, I find that only FA will return a frequency, for the slice configured in the CAT setup. So, I need two Flex CAT connections one each for Slice A and for Slice B. But, only FA works to set/return a frequency.

What am I missing? I am interfacing a third party app that has two VFOs, and issues FA and FB Kenwood commands. I need to direct FA to Slice A and FB to slice B.

Alan. WA9WUD

Best Answer

• Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 6 Answer ✓
    Options

Alan,

It is a confusing situation trying to map a flexible (no pun intended) 4 or 8 Slice radio into a 2 receiver (A and B) CAT world. As Tim pointed out above, we ended up sticking with FA and ZZFA referring to the selected Slice in the CAT port configuration. In order to use FB or ZZFB, a command to create the "2nd" receiver must come from the CAT application (such as ZZFR, ZZSW, or FT). When the "2nd" Slice is created, it is also mapped to the CAT VFO B commands. This mapping sticks around until "Split" mode is cancelled (ZZSW0, FT0, etc). At that point, VFO B is once again undefined. I hope this helps.

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

@Tim - W4TME said:

This only works when the radio is in SO2R mode where there is a designated VFO A and VFO B since the slice letters do not correlate with a "VFO" unless the radio is in SO2R mode. There are CAT commands to toggle the radio in and out of SO2R mode. This was done to support N1MM

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Alan,

Try using ZZFA; and ZZFB;

Dave wo2x

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks, Mike and Dave

I built a Node-Red bridge to filter the FB, and then direct it to Slice B. Was hoping for a more direct, Flex based, solution.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Eric.

I have been interfacing Satellite Tracking apps to Flex and learned more then I want to know about ICOM and Kenwood transceiver VFO schemes . Was hoping to use the Flex USB CAT interface without a bridge.....not to be.

None of the Satellite apps use the Flex API. Too bad.

Interesting how ICOM sends a command to change the single radio, "transceiver" VFO, followed by the VFO's frequency. Back and forth A/B, all in CI-V BCD hex.....ugh. Kenwood too, but Kenwood at least uses sting based commands.

So far, I just map the VFOs from ICOM or Kenwood to Flex Slice A and Slice B via the Flex TCP string based API or the Flex CAT app.

Alan. WA9WUD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.