Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Signal or audio changes when dragging the panadapter

Options

I wanted to attach a video of this happening, but it didn't work for me.

When dragging the panadapter, when it gets to a certain point, a weak signal all of a sudden, becomes loud. I've noticed this several times in the past, but the audio nearly knocked me out of my chair this morning when it got to that point. It's almost similar to inserting a preamp.

I don't believe anything is wrong with the radio, but I'm curious if anyone knows the "why".

Thanks es 73

Ken - W4CCZ

Comments

• Nick KB9UAE
    Nick KB9UAE Member
    Options
    Most likely you are dragging past a band edge, and the preselector is being turned off.

Per W4TME:
    "When viewing a panadapter, the SmartSDR software knows how much spectrum you are viewing and if what is being displayed is less than the preselectors filter bandwidth, then the preselector is automatically engaged. If the pandapter is too wide or you have another panadapter that is using the same RX antenna (and consequently using the same SCU) but it is on a different band then the preselectors are disabled.

So if you see the word WIDE displayed in the top right-hand corner of a panadapter, then the preselectors are not enabled."

Also, your RF Gain settings are saved with each band, so when you drag out of the ham band to a general receive area, the preamp could actually be changing.
  • Ken Golubski
    Ken Golubski Member ✭✭
    Options

Your comment brings up another question: I see "WIDE" when sitting on the 40 meter CW portion. If that means my preselector is NOT engaged, how do I turn it on ?

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Perhaps I am being thick but surely (?) WIDE appears if the displayed spectrum of the Panorama exceeds the width of the band preselectors. Just zoom in until the Pan is no longer in wideband mode.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

These should help. It is also applied to the FLEX-6600

From here:

• Ken Golubski
    Ken Golubski Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks, Mike. That explains it all.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.