Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Cant download V3.6.8 to PC

Options

I have downloaded and installed V3.6.8 to both my 6600M and Maestro and it works fine. But for some reason I can't download the file for Windows to my PC running Win 10. Is there some trick that I'm missing.

Regards,

Jim AD0AB

Best Answer

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you click on " SmartSDR for Windows v3.6.8" ( highlighted in light green) that will start the download of SmartSDR. Once you start the download, you can minimize the browser and you should see the installation start.

James

WD5GWY

Answers

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Jim.. what symptoms are you seeing when you attempt to download the installer to your PC? That would help us with diagnosis....

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

It could be Windows Defender blocking the download as the installer is an exe file. It would be better if it were an MSI file as those seem to not cause as many problems with firewalls and A/V software.

James

WD5GWY

• James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for such fast response. When I try to download the installer I get the following:

[001/001] SmartSDR_v3.6.8_Installer.exe
    	Size:	426,018,392
    	CRC-32:	52605978
    	MD-5:	47ce9dc29df6ff185b926227661cb3e8
    -------------------- FILE SIGNATURE COMPLETE --------------------

This appears on the screen immediately and no download follows. All previous versions downloaded and installed without problems so, I wonder if there is something else that I need to do with this new one.

Regards,

Jim AD0AB

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Does the file show up in your Download folder in Windows? If so, you should be able to double click on the file name and it should install. I have never had a pop-up message like that one before. Maybe, it is something to do with the browser you are using.

James

WD5GWY

• James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi James,

I've never seen that message before either. I tried both Firefox and Microsoft Edge browsers on two different PCs and got the same message. No file downloaded into my Downloads box.

Regards,

Jim Ad0AB

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

If it isn't the browsers, then the next thing is any antivirus you are running.

Have you considered disabling it?

Personally, the only AV I use is the one that is installed in Windows. Since all my computers are behind a firewall, I disable the firewall on all my PCs. It is the first thing I do when building a new PC.

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Jim... can you send/attach a screenshot of the entire screen showing the error message (i.e. everything, including the message)? That might help us with determining context -- which application is generating the message.

I have to admit, I've never seen a Windows message formatted that way. I'm wondering if it's some other app (like an Anti-Virus, or browser-based app/addition) that's generating it.

Also, how are you trying to download the installer? What are the steps you are using?

I would suggest the following: flexradio.com. Select 'Software', then 'SmartSDR'. Scroll down, and under 'SmartSDR for Windows' select 'Download latest v3 release'. Click on the light blue 'SmartSDR for Windows 3.6.8' (It's not clear it's a link until you hover over it).

This should start the download, which (on Edge) should show up in the top right of your screen. If not, please take a screenshot of the entire screen which is shown and insert it here.

Thanks.

• James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    Options

Well, This is interesting. My screen capture in my previous email is all that appeared on the screen. There was nothing else. Actually,I followed the steps you outlined in your email. But this morning I tried it again and got something different.

Above is the screen capture after following exactly the software download instructions. This screen capture was obtained with Microsoft Edge, but Firefox gives exactly the sane result. No file was downloaded.

Just in case, I tested the PC's ability to download a file by downloading the 6600M pdf brochure file. It worked perfectly.

As far as I know, there is no antivirus or firewall software (except whatever MS provides as part of Win10) running on the PC. I don't know what my ISP, Consolidated Communications, provides, if anything.

I also thought the error might be my household LAN so I connected to the Internet through a hotspot (bypassing my LAN). Results were exactly the same.

I wonder what changed between yesterday and today?

Regards,

Jim AD0AB

• James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    Options

Eureka, it worked!

Thank you very much for your help. I don't quite see how I **** that up (at least 10-12 times) but I did.

I've loaded V3.6.8 on three PCs and they all work fine so, problem solved.

Thanks again for your help,

Jim Charlton AD0AB

• Farmerkid
    Farmerkid Member ✭✭
    Options

The download process wasn't straight forward... it took a few tries to click the 'right' link.

Install process was seamless.

Ken-W9KB

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Great to hear you got it working! Yea, as I mentioned in my notes, it's not entirely 'obvious' that the light blue 'SmartSDR fro Windows v3.6.8' in the screen is the download link.

I think Flex may want to change this to a button or something more intuitive.

• WY1U
    WY1U Member
    edited January 21
    Options
    Just curious ... Is it necessary to “Cold Boot” your FLEX-6000 after upgrading the radio firmware? I upgraded to v3.6.8 last night, but forgot the cold boot step. Everything seems to work fine. I did follow the “Cold Boot” on my FLEX-6400 this AM. Thanks and 73, Tim WY1U
  • James Charlton
    James Charlton Member ✭✭
    Options

Tim,

I would do what the notes say. But, I'm an engineer and in general, we don't read instructions. I did not cold boot my 6600M. I just pressed the button and the radio took over from there.

I've been using Flex for several years and I have yet to experience any upgrade failures. The Flex software dudes really know how to write upgrade packages.

My question to this chat room was with respect to downloading the software to my PC. Once I figured out the website with help from the guys on this community chat room, I downloaded the software and installation went smoothly.

Regards,

Jom AD0AB

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    Options

When I get a message or screen I want to capture that is quick or hard to capture, I have my iPhone camera ready a what you see is what you get. You can also effectively crop it right there.

Bill W9JJB

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

For screenshots, I use GreenShot and it is tied to the PrintScreen key on the keyboard.

That way, it is always handy.

Windows has always had a Snipping tool built in as well.