Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6500 10MHz reference input indication

Options
I am looking for an indication that my Flex 6500 is using the 10MHz reference input signal I am applying to the rear panel port.

I contacted support today who have responded to state that there is no way of showing this in SmartSDR, nor can one be added, owing to hardware design.

Is this truly the case? Does anyone have any bright ideas as to how to verify which reference it is using?

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Tom, Go to Settings, Radio Setup... and select the RX tab:

This will show you whether your 10 MHz frequency reference is in control.

• tom_m0lte
    tom_m0lte Member ✭✭
    edited January 16
    Options
    > @KD0RC said:
    > Hi Tom, Go to Settings, Radio Setup... and select the RX tab:
    > This will show you whether your 10 MHz frequency reference is in control.

Hey Len, thanks for this. If only...

Fine on the 6400 and 6600, but not the 6500. See screenshot.
  • KD0RC
    Options

Hi Tom, what version of SmartSDR are you running?

• tom_m0lte
    tom_m0lte Member ✭✭
    Options
    3.4.24 here.
  • tom_m0lte
    tom_m0lte Member ✭✭
    Options
    Same on 3.5.9 too.
  • KD0RC
    Options

Ah, OK. I didn't realize that the earlier 6000 rigs were different in this respect.

I suppose that one way to test it is to disconnect the 10 MHz reference and run the calibration (click the Start button) and see what number it puts in the offset field. It looks like you are in the UK, so you will need to use a Cal Frequency that you can hear well there. It needn't be 10 MHz. I live very close to WWV, so I use 2.5 MHz.

Next, reconnect the reference and run the calibration again. If it puts a very low number in the offset, you will know that the reference is working properly with the 6500. Mine typically comes up with an offset of 4 or 5. I normally just set it to 0.

• tom_m0lte
    tom_m0lte Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks- I’m not sure what station I can use as a reference here in the UK, but I’ll have a look.

Perhaps I could just connect a short wire to my GPS DO 10MHz output and wave it near the Flex 😄

• KD0RC
    Options

Indeed, you could!

There is also a signal from Spain that might work:

I am sure the oddball frequency is to keep it from being zero beat with WWV here in Colorado.

dxinfocentre.com/time.htm

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16
    Options

The 6300, 6500 and 6700 DO NOT show what the GPS is doing like the 6400 and 6600 do so the only way to tell is to Click on the "Start" button and if it is using the 10Mhz from external GPS then your frequency will be really close to 0, Here mine shows +10 ppb high, If your external GPS is not working then this number will be more then +-1000 Usually much higher than 1K ppb using the internal radio clock.

Unplug your External GPS and run Start again to see the difference, It is also quite common for this to drift a little +-.

I'm also pretty sure this uses the Regular Antenna port to sink with your Local time HF Broadcast, the 10Mhz input is NOT for an Antenna to receive a 10Mhz signal but a GPS local source plugged direct into the Radio

Hope this helps and clears up any confusion.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.