Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PGXL Power Wiring

Options

I am preparing my station for 240v and trying to determine exactly how to properly wire the outlet. I am more used to 4 prong outlets not 3 and have read a few different opinions.

1. Use Only the Red, Black and Ground

2. Use the Red, Black, White and have Green tied into the metal junction box.

3. Red, Black and connect White and Ground together

I feel like eliminating the White Neutral completely is proper. Any input would be appreciated.

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

I would consult with a licensed electrician in your area so anything done is to your local code.

The PG XL uses Line 1, Line 2, and ground.

73 Dave wo2x

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

I have to concur with Dave here. It is one of those things you have to get correct for House Insurance reasons.

• Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭
    Options

I was only looking for the wiring the Flex uses. The hots and ground. I will always feel weird about not using a neutral wire but it seems like it is fairly common.

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    Options

You would only need the neutral if you want 120VAC circuits. The neutral in only the center tap of the 240V transformer secondary feeding your service.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

@Geoff AB6BT is correct. When wired for 240 VAC there is no neutral connection.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.