Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Interfacing a PGXL/TGXL/AG8x2 with ANAN G2

Options

I would like to connect my ANAN G2 model to 'Port B' of my Genius ecosystem - PGXL/TGXL/AG8x2. The AG8x2 is hardware model 4. I have several questions.

1) Is an external exciter (such as the ARB-704) necessary to operate the PGXL from the ANAN G2 PTT output?

2) Should PTT go out of the ANAN into the TGXL, then out of the TGXL into PGXL?

3) Do I need to use the PTT inputs on the AG8x2?

4) Should band data be sent from the ANAN, or from the PC running Thetis, to the TGXL via a USB (FTDI) cable?

Thanks in advance!

73s Clif KI5RLR

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited January 4
    Options

Hi Clif

1) it doesn’t hurt but adds slight delay. Normally we want to see TX Delay set to 30 ms on the transceiver.

2) Yes radio -> TG PTT In -> TG PTT Out -> PG PTT In

3) you will need to use a method to send either BCD or Pin to Band info to AG. There are decoders that can take the Kenwood format CAT from Thetis/Anan and convert to BCD (DX Engineering and 4O3A are two options for equipment to accomplish it. There are third party options such as Node Red which would work also https://groups.io/g/nodered-hamradio

4) Good question as G2 can operate standalone. Check with manufacturer if Kenwood formatted CAT is available out of radio when using Thetis and not front of G2. For Anan 7000dle I recommend a FTDI chipset USB to serial cable from PC running Thetis along with a DB9 female to female gender changer to CAT in on PG XL. The amp should be set for Kenwood 2 and match baud set in Thetis. The Tuner Genius will get frequency from the amp across the network.

So, question back to Anan is CAT out. Is it separate depending if using internal G2 control vs Thetis on PC?

I hope this helps.

73 Dave Decoons wo2x

Presale Technical Support

• KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks David!

1) So connecting a PTT (RCA) cable directly, with no external exciter, between the ANAN and TGXL -> PGXL is fine, I just need to add a 30ms delay? I think I have 20ms now, I will up that to 30.

2) Got it.

3) I have a B2BCD on the way, it's supposed to arrive this week... I think that is what you are referring to. NodeRed looks interesting, but the learning curve looks pretty steep.

4) I will see if I can get an answer to this question.

73!

Clif

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

Ok, you will need two CAT outputs from G2. One to PG XL and one to B2BCD, then DB15 from B2BCD to AG. Check both B2BCD and AG documentation for pinout. You need 5 wires BCD A,B,C,D and ground.

on AG for port for G2, set dip switches for BCD (dip 1&2 for port A and 3&4 for port B)

73 Dave

• KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Options

I thought I had read that the dip switches were no longer used on the AG... everything is controlled through the software. Maybe I imagined that.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

I have always used the dip switches to set input type for ports A and B. Not sure if the software overrides it, but doesn’t hurt to set them for the port or ports used by the Anan.

73 Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.