Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Popping on All Flex radios.

Options
2»

Comments

• Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    Options

I'm happy to provide info about the SmartLink system. First, you need to understand that the SmartLink service functions as a broker. It is a "middle man" to help facilitate a connection between a client (like SmartSDR for iOS) and your radio. In order to do that in a secure way, it needs to be able to perform authentication functions both for radios and clients.

Authentication (Auth0)

We use an authentication service called Auth0 to do authentication. This is actually what you are interacting with when you click to Log In to SmartLink. Once authenticated, Auth0 issues a token that can be passed along from the client to securely authenticate the user.

The Auth0 token verifies a radio's "owner." This is done by first logging into the account in the client, then associating that Auth0 user with a radio via the SmartLink registration process where you prove physical access to the radio.

SmartLink Server

The SmartLink Server exists as an internet service at smartlink.flexradio.com. As mentioned above, this server's purpose is to broker connections between a client and a radio. As such, it keeps track of radios that have been registered with SmartLink. Periodically (currently once every 30 seconds), a registered radio will send a "ping" to the SmartLink server as if to say, "I'm still powered up and running at this IP."

So when a client wants operate with SmartLink, it first obtains an Auth0 token. This is either recalled from a previous session or you get a new one by logging in. The client then makes a TLS connection to the SmartLink server and passes the token while asking for a list of radios associated with the token's user. This list is typically displayed in a radio selection window (we call this the Radio Chooser).

Connecting to a Radio

From there, when the client wants to connect to a particular radio, the client sends a message to the SmartLink server that it would like to connect along with detailed info about which radio and the clients current network info along with a unique session key. The SmartLink server can then relay this request to the radio to prepare it for the connection attempt given the current network info. Assuming that goes well (the radio responds as expected), the SmartLink server will respond to the original Client request that the Radio is ready and to begin the connection. The Client then attempts to connect to the radio directly via TLS and the original session key that was relayed through the server is sent from the radio to the client to ensure the security of this exchange. Once the session key has been verified, the client can have confidence of a secure connection to the radio brokered through the SmartLink server.

That's the high level nuts and bolts of the mechanics. There are a BUNCH more technical details of what happens in the actual connections that ensures that the TLS connection is handled appropriately. Feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

• k0oks
    k0oks Member ✭✭
    Options

@Eric-KE5DTO Thanks for the info. I would love to see the ability to simply enter an IP address for SmartSDR to connect to locally (or otherwise). We have different devices on different subnets and the broadcast address only setup is very rudimentary and very limiting to the user. A simple IP (or DNS name) entry to connect a radio would be much appreciated by those of us familiar with networking, that don't want or need to rely on a third party for such things.

Thanks.

• Scott-ka0jwc
    Scott-ka0jwc Member ✭✭
    Options

I run 2.10.1 on my WIN 10 machine. Ive had the popping going on for a while now. On all modes. Drives me nuts.

Ive also had issues with my 6600 just stop talking to the PC. Very random on that.

Sure would like a solution

• Scott-ka0jwc
    Scott-ka0jwc Member ✭✭
    Options

Happy New Year!

The popping audio is still present. I do NOT use smart link and never have. If that was the problem? I also see it pop on transmit. Has anything been figured out on this?

• Jeff_W4DD
    Jeff_W4DD Member ✭✭
    Options

One of the causes of Popping is when the Flex RADIO registers with the Flex SmartLink server and things don't go smoothly. ALL radios register with the SmartLink server whether SmartLink is enabled or not, as long as the radio has an Internet connection. Flex has confirmed this behavior, and it is pending a software change that permits an option for the radio to not register. I suggest you upgrade to the latest firmware (v3.5.9 or later) as this decreases the likelihood of popping issues, especially on Tx. Note to Flex; thanks for all your work on this in 2023. Looking forward to what's in store for 2024.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.