Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6400 USB Cable to Bandmaster III

Options
The following is from the Documentation page 18. Also referencing thread 7709481:
I think the diagram refers to the cable that goes between the 6400 and the Bandmaster. When I look up the cable (FTDI C232HM (MPSSE) it has a USB A connection on one end and individual pin connectors (female) on the other end. I assume the cable USB A end goes to the 6400. Where do the female pins on the cable connect on the Bandmaster?

Thanks and 73, Rod/w7zrc

Best Answer

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Rod

You will a an FTDI / RS232 adapter that will plug into the back of the radio. From there, I 'think' you'll need a double mail DB9 Null modem adapter.

That cable might work, but you need to check if it requires a Null modem adapter which swaps pins 2 and 3. You can give that a try and it works, great. If not, insert a null modem adapter.

FlexRadio uses Kenwood CAT commands.

Answers

• Rod w7zrc
    Rod w7zrc Member ✭✭
    Options
    Upon further research, would this cable work directly plugging into the 6400 and the Bandmaster II:

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Chipset-CableCreation-Converter-Windows/dp/B075YFS64T/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1575HH8NVV9YB&keywords=CableCreation%2BUSB%2Bto%2BRS232%2BCable%2B(FTDI%2BChipset)%2C%2B3%2BFeet%2BRS-232%2BFemale%2BDB9%2BSerial%2BConverter%2BCable%2Bfor%2BWindows%2B10&qid=1702927549&s=industrial&sprefix=cablecreation%2Busb%2Bto%2Brs232%2Bcable%2Bftdi%2Bchipset%2B%2C%2B3%2Bfeet%2Brs-232%2Bfemale%2Bdb9%2Bserial%2Bconverter%2Bcable%2Bfor%2Bwindows%2B10%2Cindustrial%2C202&sr=1-4&th=1
  • Rod w7zrc
    Rod w7zrc Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Mike. I’ll check out the null adapter. 73 and Happy Holidays. Rod
  • Rod w7zrc
    Rod w7zrc Member ✭✭
    Options
    Tried the USB to Female Serial cable between the Bandmaster III and the 6400 both with and without a null modem adapter and neither worked. I've gone over the documentation a few more times (old age keeps it from getting thru to the old brain) and it looks to me like I do need the C232HM cable as the Flex docs indicate. My first question about where that cable connects to the Bandmaster III would now appear to be the db9 connector on the Bandmaster. Each of the C232HM female wire ends may plug onto each of the indicated pins on the db9 connector on the Bandmaster. So now I'll order a cable and give it a try.

If anyone has any experience with this same setup, please let me know - Thanks and 73, Rod w7zrc
  • Rod w7zrc
    Rod w7zrc Member ✭✭
    Options
    Mike - does Flex have this cable in stock that I may purchase? If so, could you provide a link? Thanks!
  • Rod w7zrc
    Rod w7zrc Member ✭✭
    Options

All - with help from John K9EL, I connected the FTDI USB to rs232 female cable (above Amazon link) between the BandMaster III and my 6400. I set the BandMaster for CAT; Kenwood; 9600-8-N-1; and the USB settings in SSDR for the same and it works fine. Thanks John and Mike for the help. 73, Rod/w7zrc

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.