Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Interlock is preventing Transmission AMP-TG

Options

Still having increasing intermittent issues with the "Interlock is preventing Transmissions AMP-TG. Running SmartSDR v3.5.8, TGXL FW 1.1.20, and PGXL FW 3.7.32. When this situation occurs, the interlock error after waiting a few moments just disappears and the PGXL operates properly. Other times, if the wait is more than a few seconds, putting the PGXL into Standby and then back into OPR corrects the issue. Running multiple antennas of various types, wires and monobanders. SWR is less than 1:1.4 on the antennas. I see no change in the SWR metering when this happens. The PGXL just goes into interlock mode.

Might anyone know how to eliminate this condition?

Randy

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

I did open a support ticket for this.

The way it works is that the Radio asks the other devices if it can go into transmit (it actually does).

When they respond with an 'OK', the radio goes into TX.

This is not an SWR issue at all and happens before RF is even sent by the radio.

You can try increasing your TX Delay to 30ms and see if that helps.

Mike

• KH6XX
    KH6XX Member ✭✭
    Options

I have the delay set to 50ms per an earlier suggestion and still having issues.

• km8v
    km8v Member ✭✭
    Options
    I also experience this intermittently, with tx delay set to 50ms - rebooting the PGXL seems to clear it up.
  • KH6XX
    KH6XX Member ✭✭
    Options

Can Flex please fix this issue as it appears I am not alone. I am getting private messages telling me others have the same problem. It appears the problem is occurring when a PGXL is being used. Please don't tell me to keep power cycling the PGXL as a remedy. Since it happening to others, it should be able to be reproduced in the lab. It would nice to have a list of known issues others are reporting so as to not spin our wheels trying to fix something we have no control over.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Team,

*** Read This ***

If you find yourself encountering the same issue, it's imperative that you initiate a support ticket. Simply informing a colleague about the problem doesn't assist FRS in determining its urgency.

Here's how it works: When one or two individuals report an issue, it's considered a concern. However, if twenty or more people report the same problem, it's recognized as a systemic issue and promptly escalates on our priority list.

So, if your colleague informs you that they're experiencing a similar problem, please advise them to open a support case. This approach serves several crucial purposes and greatly contributes to resolving the matter efficiently. There is strength in numbers.

I repeat. If you are having this issue now, please open a ticket.

TIA!

• km8v
    km8v Member ✭✭
    Options
    Ticket opened.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Options

A group of us has been actively investigating the issue at hand, diligently working to understand and recreate the problem. However, despite our efforts, we have not been able to replicate the failure in question.

Our examination has encompassed a thorough review of all available facts, including the communication pathways involved.

To gain deeper insights, I have personally employed Wireshark to analyze the data flow between the devices, allowing us to observe the ongoing dialogue.

Anyone with a managed switch and WireShark could easily monitor the plain text communications if they choose to.

One aspect that has remained inconclusive thus far pertains to the network switch.

We are well aware that not all network switches are created equal, and we've encountered cases where certain switches have exhibited unexpected behavior. In fact, one such switch prevented my TGXL from obtaining a DHCP IP address.

The prevailing hypothesis suggests that the issue may be related to network slowdowns, causing the TGXL to respond to the radio more slowly. This could signify a problem within the transport layer, implicating both the network cables and the network switch.

I would like to share that, based on anecdotal evidence, we have noticed that lower-cost 1G switches may not perform optimally and may frequently engage in auto-negotiation exercises. During auto-negotiation, data flow is interrupted, and if this occurs at an inopportune moment, it can lead to an Interlock error due to a timeout (the precise duration of which is still under investigation but is likely greater than 500ms).

One common strategy when troubleshooting such issues is to introduce changes. For you, the most straightforward modifications would involve altering elements within the network setup.

If you have the capability, I recommend replacing the network cables for both the radio and TGXL with new ones, as cables can deteriorate over time.

I personally use CAT 8 cables sourced from Amazon but any new cable should be fine.

Additionally, it would be beneficial to try connecting both the radio and TGXL to a different switch, preferably one that you haven't used previously. If you happen to have a 100mb switch available, you could employ it for this testing.

Our objective is to determine if these changes yield any impact on the issue you are encountering. We are interested in understanding whether the problem worsens, improves, or remains unchanged under these modified network conditions.

Your feedback and observations will be invaluable in our ongoing efforts to resolve this matter.

• KH6XX
    KH6XX Member ✭✭
    Options

We will continue to monitor and note further observations when message is occurring and will advise.

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I have this problem. It's becoms so bad. I can't use VOX. I have ordered 3 CAT8 cables. I hope that cures it.

• KH6XX
    KH6XX Member ✭✭
    Options

Ed,

Are you connecting to a switch and the switch is connected to the router? If so, try bypassing the switch and go directly to the router if possible and see if that makes a difference.

Please do post your results when changing to the CAT8 as that would be helpful to know. We are using CAT6A.

Thanks,

Randy KH6XX

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I will give that a try.

• KH6XX
    KH6XX Member ✭✭
    Options

You probably have already set the TX delay to 30ms so I didn't mention it.

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I have the delay set at 50ms. My router has only one connection to the switch. I'm going to reset it. It's a managed switch. But I haven't found a way to do that. I am thinking about going to a Netgear unmanaged switch.

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I reset my network switch. It's a Netgear PSG516PE v1. It hadn't been reset in a while. I'm not seeing the AMP-TG error. Not sure if that has cured it completely. Still gonna replace the ethernet cables. I'll have those tomorrow.

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Nevermind I still have the error...

• Ron Koenig
    Ron Koenig Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Using the RCA PTT instead of Ethernet was the only thing that solved this for us.

It was random in occurrence and severity, sometimes just one popup, sometimes requiring a power cycle of the amp. Never was it in an actually a warranted interlock situation.

• Ken Wells
    Ken Wells Community Manager admin
    Options

I had this issue immediately after updating the firmware on my TGXL and AG.

It persisted until I powered everything down -- radio, amp, tuner, and AG, and turned them all back on again.

It hasn't happened again in 3 days.

• KM4CQG
    KM4CQG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

KM4CQG

Same issue as all of you. My Interlock occurs when Antenna Genius is run in Manual either SO2R or Port A or B. If I run the AG in Auto or Flex there is no Interlock issue.

Also noticed the interlock engages as I approach the edges of bands but still legal frequencies.

Is this not a AG software issue???

Ian

KM4CQG

• KH6XX
    KH6XX Member ✭✭
    Options

While not happening as frequently as it has previously, it still is happening. I noticed during yesterday's contest, all of a sudden during a transmission I would receive a warning message about the interlock and to stop transmitting. The radio still was having output as usual when this message happens. I don't know if this is a "false" positive message or not so of course I stopped transmitting. Within 3-5 seconds, the warning message disappeared and all returned to normal. Running 6600M with all the latest software on the PGXL, TGXL, AG, and SmartSDR for Windows. I was reading that next one of the next two release(s) of SmartSDR for Windows coming in January is supposedly addressing Interlock issues. Sure hope so as the interlock issues, not just this minor one I just stated above but also ones that do stop all transmissions are finally resolved. With so many moving parts to this issue with the 6600M , the TGXL, the PGXL, and the AG, I can see why a fix is illusive especially when software is not released as a "upgrade suite".

• Phillip Hare
    Phillip Hare Member ✭✭
    Options

I replicate it daily - with and without my PGXL running. I am using v3.7.3 on my 6600M, as well as latest firmware for AG/AGXL/PGXL. Power cycling everything (except the radio) does not fix the problem. It happened infrequently with the previous 6600M firmware - it is worse now that I upgraded.

• AA1SS
    AA1SS Member ✭✭
    Options

I get it too intermittently on mine

• Phillip Hare
    Phillip Hare Member ✭✭
    Options

So, Steve, what have you done to get it working?

• AA1SS
    AA1SS Member ✭✭
    Options

It will usually go away on next key up.Sometimes have to turn off Amp and tuner

• Phillip Hare
    Phillip Hare Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks. Mine doesn't go away until a reboot of the 6600M. I've tried power cycling PC/AG/AGXL/PGXL and dog - to no avail.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

I've seen this happen before, especially after a radio software upgrade. When it happens due to radio upgrade I go into the PG XL app configuration and just click Save which reboots the amp.

Make sure the amp is at the latest firmware (3.8.4 as of today). Also set radio TX Delay to 30 ms.

If using the TG XL and AG, make sure their firmware versions are correct.

For AG 3.1.5 use TG 1.1.20

For AG 4.1.7 use TG 1.2.11

Dave wo2x

• Phillip Hare
    Phillip Hare Member ✭✭
    Options

Thx Dave...all firmware is current. I did as you suggested with the amp and delay is 30 sec.

Thanks

• KM4CQG
    KM4CQG Member ✭✭
    Options

Dave last I heard Ken said 40 see below

• Phillip Hare
    Phillip Hare Member ✭✭
    Options

No worries, my Yaesu gets jealous of all the time I spend with Flexy

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.