Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WX7V Remote Operations Set Up (via SmartLink)

Options

I wanted to share my current remote operations set up. I've addressed everything I can think of for now and documented the "as built" design as of December 15th, 2023.

Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.

The Ubiquity EdgeRouter X is very sophisticated. Smart Queue Management has eliminated virtually all dropped packets and reduced bufferbloat due to high network latency.

The PC at the remote station is a Beelink Mini PC with AMD Ryzen 5 and runs all the local software for the Shack including SmartSDR, PSTRotor, and other utilities as needed.

Splashtop gives me full remote desktop control, including Microphone Pass Thru from my Local PC to my Flexradio at the remote station.

The Kasa Smart **** is connected via WiFi and enables me to reboot my PC or shut down the mains power to my radio when needed, saving me a drive down to the lake.  

The Digital Loggers 120v Trigger Relay is connected via RCA input to soft boot the FlexRadio via Remote Power On.

PS - I'm a member of SKCC so getting reliably consistent straight key operation is very important for me. The FT-231X can be modified to work with a paddle.

73 Chris de WX7V

73, Chris de WX7V

Comments

• Chris WX7V
    Chris WX7V Member ✭✭
    Options

I currently have internet thru Nextlink, which is a Wireless Internet Service Provider (point to point) with 100mb/20 up plan. Since Nextlink (and many WISP) use CGNAT, I also had to order a static IP from them to get Smartlink to work. My internet antenna has direct line of sight to the Nextlink tower. Latency was the main issue to resolve that impacted both audio on SSB and CW and required me to upgrade to the Edgerouter.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Chris, this is good info. I am helping a ham here to set up a remote site that has Nextlink. Can you tell me what the additional cost of a static IP address is?

• Chris WX7V
    Chris WX7V Member ✭✭
    Options

Len, The cost is an extra $19/month. Pretty steep, when this is something Flex could fix in the smart link service they provide. The virtual desktops I've been using don't require the Static IP and they are very featured rich and provide much better audio quality too.

The Flex requires the static IP does because of the way the discover is coded. Maybe it will be fixed in the future, as most of our internet services will soon be using CGNAT, not just Wireless ISPs or Hotspots.

• Chris WX7V
    Chris WX7V Member ✭✭
    Options

Len, The Static IP from Nextlink costs and extra $20/month. I feel this is an unnecessary expense, and something Flex will have to address as more and more of the broadband service providers move to CGNAT. Btw, the virtual desktops (chrome remote desktop, splashtop, any desk) don't require a Static IP - they work with CGNAT. The audio on splashtop is MUCH MUCH better that what you get with SmartLink/DAX, even better than Smarlink with Mumble.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Thanks Chris, that is good to know. I will check into Splashtop.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

The cost is an extra $19/month. Pretty steep, when this is something Flex could fix in the smart link service they provide. The virtual desktops I've been using don't require the Static IP and they are very featured rich and provide much better audio quality too.

Chris, we looked into this. While it is simple enough to do, it does cost a lot in recurring costs. FRS can't host it and support it for free. And, you can't amortize this service over all the HF radios you sell since only a small portion of the install base has your issue.

Next, we considered doing it as an add on license to SmartSDR on a recurring basis, likely monthly. While I can't say the price we had in mind, but, it was a lot more than $19/month.

Virtual desktops are not peer to peer connections as they all go through a secondary server. This is OK for this use, but you won't like the latency that would happen with an intermediate server.

I use 2 radios, one locally and one remote a lot. I would be hard pressed to say that I hear a difference in the audio quality on either receiver other than the odd packet loss on the remote that would still be there with an intermediate server.

The fastest way to solve this today is to buy the static IP from SmartLink and your problem is solved. For $240/year or so, you have up'd the functionality of your HF station by leaps and bounds.

For me, I pay $79/month for internet to my remote site and I don't begrudge 1 cent of it. It gives me the performance I need and a lot more enjoyment in the hobby.

my 2 cent rant :)

• Chris WX7V
    Chris WX7V Member ✭✭
    Options

@Mike-VA3MW Always insightful and thank you. Agree the hosting cost would be hard to scale for the amateur radio market. I would pay more for services hosted by FRS to support the hobby, but I bet most hams would not. Chrome Remote desktop is limited, and splashtop biz which allows audio-mic pass thru is another $120 year or more than the personal version of splashtop. Add the $19/month for the static IP and the costs to operate remotely add up, but are still "reasonable" at least for me compared to the cost of everything else in this world.

On your last comment - did you mean NextLink? or does Smartlink (FRS) have a static IP for purchase?

"The fastest way to solve this today is to buy the static IP from SmartLink and your problem is solved. For $240/year or so, you have up'd the functionality of your HF station by leaps and bounds."

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Oh, I meant NextLink. sorry, I had Starlink in my head. (my head was still on vacation).

• GW4DVB
    GW4DVB Member
    Options
    Hi - Chris WX7V _ I'm in a similar situation to you have a ISP (EE) who use CGNAT - I also have a static IP via a VPN provider. Can you provide me with any further information on how you were able to connect to your Flex via Smartlink - 73 Brian GW4DVB
  • Chris WX7V
    Chris WX7V Member ✭✭
    Options

@GW4DVB Brian, I was not able to get a static IP from a VPN provider to work. I had to use a static IP from the ISP provider (who was using CGNAT). Good luck, if you find a way to make it work I'm sure a lot of people would benefit from it. In my case I tried getting a dedicated IP/Static IP from NordVPN to work. SmartLink test was never successful. The static IP from NextLink (my ISP) has worked flawlessly, but costs about 3x more than the NordVPN static IP. Chris de WX7V

• GW4DVB
    GW4DVB Member
    edited February 22
    Options
    Chris - I have cracked it !!

I have spent 3 months trying to Remote into my Flex6600M over the CGNAT EE Network but now I can !

In simple terms I have used a basic Raspberry Pi set up as a network bridge running ZeroTier - https://www.zerotier.com. (ZeroTier is free for up to 5 Nodes / Devices.

I cannot take credit for any of this as it was something that John - G4IRN set up at his QTH and it worked.

Below I have included a link to his web page which explains all..

https://www.g4irn.com/home/articles-information/using-a-flex-radio-over-cgnat-ip-connection-using-zerotier

You are going to have to understand the set up of ZeroTier and, of course, the peculiarities of programming the Raspberry Pi. I can assure you that if you follow his instructions to the LETTER substituting in your own local network IP's etc it will / does work.

Let me know how you get on and if you want limited help please feel free to contact me.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.