Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Alternative Microphone for Maestro?

Options

I tried both google, and also searching in this forum, but can't find anything.

I desire to use a microphone in a desk stand, rather than my hand FHM-2 mic that came with Maestro. Does anyone know of any XLR microphones that can be used with the Maestro, and if adapter cables exist or are easy to wire? I realize that this will require an XLR to RJ45 adapter that is properly wired.

I also don't care if the mic has a PTT button, since the Maestro has a PTT input jack and I already have some PTT hand switches.

What other microphones are people using with Maestro?

Cheers,

Neal, N6YFM

Answers

• Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Options

OK, I think I may have answered my own question with deeper googling and reading; I found the details in the maestro manual on page 178, indicating which jacks I can use for either a condenser or dynamic microphone. It looks like I can use the Maestro at my operating position, behind my keyboard, yet can select to use the R-BAL 1/4 inch balanced mic input on the actual Flex 6600 radio chassis. I already have a 1/4 inch stereo to XLR mix cable, so will try that tomorrow with a Heil PR-781 and see how it goes.

If I read it correctly, I can also use a 1/8 inch stereo to XLR adapter cable on the back of the Maestro for mic 2 input. But that is psuedo-balanced. But that should not matter, because you would only need a 2 foot long cord for a desk mic/stand next to the Maestro. So I think there is plenty of flexibility here to try any mic I wish.

I hope this info helps others.

Neal

• Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Neal, how did that work out for you ?

Andy K3UK

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

On the Maestro C, you can add the Y cable kit and you get the same connectors as on the back of a 6400 or 6600 if that helps at all.

• Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Options

Hi Andrew and Mike:

Sorry for the delayed reply. Yes, I simply had to read and learn more. Since then, I have made an adapter cable for the fully balanced mic input on the back of the Flex 6600, that goes to XLR on the other end. I also purchased the Heil Yaseu RJ-45 to XLR and PTT adapter cable for the Maestro and the Yaesu FTDX-10 radio that I have. So now, I have been successfully using and comparing the following mics on both radios:

Heil HM-12

Heil PR-781

Heil PR-22

Behringer MX-8500

FTDX10 stock hand mic

Maestro stock hand mic

I find that I like the Heil PR-22 the best, but soon you will not be able to find those. To be fair, all of them get really good audio reports if you take the time to adjust the EQ to match YOUR voice, and also fine tune mic gain. So don't think you need to hunt and pay extra for a soon to be rare Heil mic. Almost any mic made for radio use (the EQ curve is a little different) will work great once adjusted. Just DON'T try to use a stage/studio mic like the Shure SM-58. While that is an epic high quality stage/vocal mic, it is so because it is completely flat, permitting the audio engineer at the mic console to EQ to their taste. No matter how we adjusted, it just lacks something for radio use. We wasted hours playing... I find that the flex mic input stage appears to have less gain than the Icom or Yaesu radios. It still works just fine. But if you are one of those people who does not like running the mic gain almost full for a weak dynamic mike, you can use an off-board mic preamp like I do. There are MANY choices on the market ranging from the modest budget up to the Audio-Phool budget. :-) Of course, again, this is optional to suite personal preference.

Cheers,

Neal N6YFM

• Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Options

I forgot to mention: The RJ-45 microphone jack on the Maestro model B that I have, is the same wiring as Yeasu radios. The Heil Yaesu to XLR mic adapter cables work fine for both. Flex probably has cables also.

Neal

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.