Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flexradio 5000A Firewire

Options
SALVO
SALVO Member ✭✭
edited December 2023 in FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
Good morning to all the Community, next week I will receive my Christmas present, a Flex5000A. I should buy the firewire card for my desktop PC. Can you suggest a site where I can purchase the Firewire card or the complete code to give to my local dealer?
73 Salvo IT9IDR

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Salvo

FRS recommends that you go online and buy 3 or 4 different FW cards and keep the one that works and send back the ones that don't work.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Amazon has the best prices. Look for cards with the PCIe interface. Texas Instruments chipset is preferred. You will need a 1394A firewire card. The VIA chipset does work for me. But, TI is considered the most reliable. Granite Firewire cables are the most reliable. They are also the most expensive.

Tim has a couple of good instructional pages on the Flex Radio website. Once you get the basic version of PowerSDR installed, go to KE9NS's website and download his version of PowerSDR. It has many improvements over the original version of PowerSDR.

James

WD5GWY

• SALVO
    SALVO Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you very much for helping. I've seen tons of listings on Amazon and I'm totally confused. Can you give me an Amazon link to order a suitable firewire compatible card? Thank you very much for helping. 73 de IT9IDR Salvo

• Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Before you start , regardless which card you buy :

Beware that you will **** your Flex when plugging the connector REVERSE . This can happen quite easy with some of the cards.

It can be repaired, but a high cost.. about 400$ here in Germany currently

There is a hint to modify the cable by cutting 2 power wires . Google for this and do that before you start.

Find hints on good cards on the ke9ns powersdr website.

i hope you will have as much fun as we all do with the BEST SDR Software you can imagine..

Harry

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.