Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

AC plug recommendation

Options
KE3Q here, in Maryland. On my new PGXL, should I use a 20A, 35A or what on the power cable and 240V cable being run from the house power panel? Tnx.
RichardLBoyd@gmail.com or here....

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

You need to discuss with an electrician that you require a 15A / 240V outlet. They will recommend the correct type of plug.

This is pretty common, but it can vary due to different zoning laws and insurance requirements.

Mike

• Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

So, I crossed this bridge when renovating ~15yrs ago. I had no amplifier but I knew I would get one, eventually. I tried to cover quite a few bases:

1) if you want 1500W out, perhaps allow for 3000W going in... that's about 15A at 220V, give-or-take a bit. And if the PGXL actually specifies a 15A circuit, then Mike's answer and this thought may be all you need. Enjoy!

2) Some amps that **** me have a bit more power :-) "Headroom" and "Reliability" I tell the XYL :-) So maybe a 20A circuit...

3) Locally, a microwave oven is considered a "permanently connected load". Perhaps leaving my amp plugged-in and idling would be too. And a "Permanently Connected Load" must not exceed 80% of the circuit capacity (BC, Canada). Ergo, an amp that requires 15A but is always ready-to-go may be required to have a 20A circuit, just like my (120V 15A) microwave requiring a 20A outlet).

So, that was my choice: 12 AWG for the wiring, NEMA 6-20 receptacle and plug, giving me 240V / 20A supply, and low-drop when only using 15A

HTH! Overkill is just about right :-)

• RichBoyd
    RichBoyd Member
    Options
    Thanks. Just ordered it, on your suggestion.
  • RichBoyd
    RichBoyd Member
    Options
    Right, thanks for the answers, guys. 73

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.