Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

One Flex 6400 and two users (Multiflex) Mix modes (Smart SDR Version 3.5.9)

Options

Question 1. How many users can share one Flex 6400 radio ?

Question 2. Can one user be on a Microsoft Windows 10 PC using smart SDR version 3.5.9 and another be using Apple IOS on a Iphone 14 Pro or Ipad Pro ?

And I mean BOTH users Use the radio to listen and transmit.

Question 3 If both users are using Microsoft Windows 10 on a PC. And I am here in the Shack using my external speakers and Shure Beta 58A Microphone and have Mic set "Mic" and the Remote user on "Smart Link" Using PC on the control panel on the right column , Can this be done without conflict ?

Myself and another ham were using my Flex today for a net I was here in the shack with the radio and the remote user was on smart link using a PC and usb headset and I noticed some weird stuff happening with the pan adapter and S meter and when I selected PTT there was awful feedback. And the mic setting would not stay set when I changed it from PC to mic it would change on the remote end. and vice a versa.

This is the first time I shared my connection with my neighbor who a new General class. Can someone give myself any information about flex radio 6400 remote sharing ?

thank you

Answers

• John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    Options

My experiences:

1. Two users can access any Flex 6000-series radio if the radio is running version 3.
    2. Yes. I can TX using my iPhone or my Mac laptop. I don’t usually use my iPhone to transmit while another user is also on but I have used it, briefly, that way.
    3. “Conflict” is unfortunately subjective. My experience has been that when two users are operating at the same time they can coexist but latitude has to be given for some settings that are (in my words) “global” to both users — and if one of these settings is changed for one user, it is changed for the other. For example, when I select “MON(itor)” to listen to my remote partner, then HIS OWN MON button lights up and he hears himself while he is talking! Very annoying! I want to hear him so I can potentially coordinate my actions with his… but I don’t want to disrupt his actions because of feedback coming back into his ears.

In my case, both my remote users, and myself, are always running remote. I am seven miles from my radio site. So I don’t use my radio locally. There is a software setting that can be set to give either a local or a remote user “priority” for the “local physical Mic” maybe checking that will help?

I hope others will comment in this thread … I have long suffered the issue with certain global settings not being truly independent between different multiflex users. Until they are there will be problems like you and I continue to deal with.

@Mike-VA3MW any other comments or insights?

Thanks.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Coordination between users can be difficult, especially if one is remote to the other. If they are local to each other, it is easier. Often one will be a “run”operator,and the other a “search and pounce” operator, coordinating with hand signals.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi James, My guess on the feedback is the use of MON (Monitor). I would turn that off unless you are using headphones. Another possibility is the use of Full Duplex (FDX).

The strange behavior happening may be the use of the same profiles at each location. Make a copy of the global, mic and transmit profiles that you are using. Then the local station can use the original profiles and remote can use the new ones.

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

I recently tried this "Sharing the radio" feature just the other day with my neighbor about 10 blocks away and this has been my first go at it. Using my radio and smart SDR for windows version 3.5.9 Yes it might have something to do with the profiles being used. The test myself (KG5PTE) and I did with Willy (KJ5BWB) did worked OK with out any issues. We been experimenting on 20 meters (14.290 MHZ)

James (KG5PTE)

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

My friend that I am sharing the Flex 6400 and smart sdr, smart link with Willy (KJ5BWB) and myself (KG5PTE) did some testing and made two videos to try and trouble shoot what may have happened. All I know was yesterday morning (Friday Nov 24 2013 at 10am CST 1600 UTC) I was using my Iphone and tried to PTT with it. While my friend was on a windows PC (MS Windows 10) and smart SDR version 3.5.9 And my audio had a lot of feedback and distortion in it feeding back into the mic. And my signal scope meter flat lined and was no longer receiving. Again I seen this before were leaving the radio on for a long period tends to corrupt something with the radio and a re boot is required. And I mean the radio on (But not necessarily with Smart SDR version 3.5.9 active/on) or the Apple IOS/Mac version of Smart SDR. But here a two videos we made tonight that we recorded of each other talking. Willy was using a USB Connected PC headset and mic with smart link. While I was using the radio with external speakers. A Heil HS-2 PTT button switch and Shure Beta 58A mic. And everything sounded OK.

Video link: https://youtu.be/PMri1zAd2Ls?si=BcMkvSX8O2wM4bud

https://youtu.be/v4OiAT6GOSI?si=lkvVP5fK8OqyzJ-m

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi James, you have MON turned on at a high level which may be the cause of the feedback. Try turning it off.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

This has been a VERY long time problem and IS WORSE on some radio's than others so is HARD for FLEX to track it down.

I think it is a Memory issue on the Radios that do it more often but I'm just guessing.

One of my friends 6300 has the issue much more often than my 6700 radio's have and usually requires a SmartSDR restart but about half the time it requires a DC Power off/on cycle which usually clears it up much longer than does restarting SmartSDR.

I don't think this is a problem with running the radio the way you are because it happens on a local user and station MIC as well.

This has been my experience and take it for what it is worth, just my opinion.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Question 1. How many users can share one Flex 6400 radio ?

Question 2. Can one user be on a Microsoft Windows 10 PC using smart SDR version 3.5.9 and another be using Apple IOS on a Iphone 14 Pro or Ipad Pro ?

And I mean BOTH users Use the radio to listen and transmit.

Question 3 If both users are using Microsoft Windows 10 on a PC. And I am here in the Shack using my external speakers and Shure Beta 58A Microphone and have Mic set "Mic" and the Remote user on "Smart Link" Using PC on the control panel on the right column , Can this be done without conflict ?

1. Many can share the radio login, only 2 can use it at the same time
    2. Yes
    3. Mic means the Mic you are using is plugged into the back of the Radio. If the Mic is plugged into the PC, then you have to use PC as your Mic input. For remote operators, PC is the standard input and, yes, both users can use PC as an input. It is critical that they use DIFFERENT mic profiles, so we urge everyone to build and use their own Mic Profile

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you Mike.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.