Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

2 Radios and overload protection?

Options

For the most part I only run one radio at a time. I have 2 6600's one has Amp and is connected to my big antennas thru an AG 8 X 2. The 6600 I run using a Zero Five 40-10 groundplane

and a 40 meter delta loop. With the exception of t-storms I leave all antennas hooked up and

they all have ICE lightening arrestors installed before connecting to radios. My concern is

overload protection when I run my amp. The second 6600 on the vertical and loop stay hooked up. I do shut the second 6600 down, but the question is can the front end be damaged by overload from the other radio? Should I have a disconnect also?

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Bill, This worksheet might help you decide:

Even though you are not actually running full duplex, using a second 6600 is similar enough that I think this will give you an idea of the amount of signal coming into the second rig.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

The radio has pretty significant overload protection.

However, like all amateur radios out there, the front end of the radio is still connected to the antenna when you turn the radio off. This will be a surprise to most hams.

If you want to be 100% sure, you either have to disconnect the antenna or ground the antenna.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.