Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

v3.5.9 - Cannot transmit after update

Options
I installed the latest urgent update and now I cannot transmit. I use a Logitech Headset running through my laptop. I also use a Heil PTT footswitch. TUNE and MOX work correctly. My audio shows on the Level Meter, but when I hit the footswitch only a slight bump shows on the scope. Any ideas as to what to look for are appreciated. I have opened a support ticket but don't expect a quick turnaround with all the recent problems Flex has been having.
:# :#
Thanks,
Mike Geitner
K9MWG
Tagged:

Comments

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@mgeitner

Make sure you have the correct mic and xmit profile selected.

• mgeitner
    mgeitner Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, yes all are correct.
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Mike, can you do a screenshot of SmartSDR? Do you have the TX indicator showing with a red background? Also, check to be sure that the PTT Inhibit box is not checked in the TX Band Settings screen for the band that you are operating on.

• mgeitner
    mgeitner Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yes, the TX settings are correct (not checked), the TX indicator is red. Oddly enough, the MOX button works.

Mike
  • KD0RC
    Options

Ah... I would suspect the footswitch. Check to be sure that it is plugged into the PTT jack and that it is all the way in. If that is not it, use an ohm meter to test the switch.

• mgeitner
    mgeitner Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Unplugged footswitch from PTT RCA and plugged in hand mike. No change.
    Tested footswitch with Ohm meter. Functions correctly.

Yesterday, I reverted back to the previous version of SmartSDR and everything worked again.
    This morning, I could not use it because I think Flex made it unusable or kicked me off, so I installed
    3.5.9 again and the problem came back.

I'll revert back again right now and try it again.

Mike
    K9MWG
  • mgeitner
    mgeitner Member ✭✭
    Options
    Reverting back to 3.3.29 works.

Mike
    K9MWG
  • KD0RC
    Options

Hi Mike, I would submit a helpdesk ticket. Older versions put you at risk of SD card issues and SmartLink problems (even if you aren't operating remotely).

• mgeitner
    mgeitner Member ✭✭
    Options
    I put in a ticket yesterday. Thanks!

Mike
    K9MWG
  • mgeitner
    mgeitner Member ✭✭
    Options

Update:

Tried re-installing v3.5.9 and then performing a factory reset. It did not work.

Mike

• KD0RC
    Options

Hi Mike, I just thought of one other thing to check. Go to Settings, multiFLEX, and see if this is what you get:

Or do you get something like this:

In the second case, I fired up my TeensyMaestro in GUI Client mode to simulate an additional SmartSDR or Maestro connection to the same radio.

If your desired station does not have the LOCAL PTT checked, this could be your issue. There will be an Enable button on this screen if the other station has the local PTT. It doesn't show in my example because it is already selected.

From section 21 of the SmartSDR Software User Guide:

• mgeitner
    mgeitner Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Len, I'll try that this afternoon!

Mike, K9MWG

• mgeitner
    mgeitner Member ✭✭
    Options

Len,

I tried what you suggested, but that wasn't the problem. Back to the old version.....................

Mike K9MWG

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Hi Mike

This is likely a configuration issue and if you open a support ticket, Ken will get you sorted out.

You might want to try resetting the radio as you will have to reset the radio if you downgrade to the previous version. You can do that if you don't want to open a support ticket.

Doing a downgrade and not resetting the radio may cause undesirable results due to internal changes.

• mgeitner
    mgeitner Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Mike!

Yes, did all the factory resetting, etc. I can turn the problem on and off with the new version -vs- the last version. I opened a support ticket last week Sunday.

Mike - K9MWG

• mgeitner
    mgeitner Member ✭✭
    Options

Follow up:

Ken at Flex responded to my support ticket two days after I opened it. I was watching my email instead of checking support online so I missed it. Ken explained that being able to use the PC MIC and a hardware PTT (foot switch) together was actually a bug that was corrected in the latest version of SmartSDR. Evidently, Flex never thought that someone would operate this way, sitting right next to the radio, considering latency between the PC MIC / PC and Flex. Well, I never really noticed it and was quite happy that it worked. I had both hands free for contesting, not having to mouse click the MOX button.

I would like to encourage the good folks at Flex to enable this functionality because it makes the FlexRadio even more flexible.

Mike K9MWG

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.