Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is it possible to have a separate SmartLink Login account for multiple users?

Options
We are considering upgrading the Remote HF Station at the Gloucester County Amateur Radio Club in Mullica Hill, NJ to use a Flex 6000 Series transmitter. It makes sense to have a separate Login for each member that desires to use the remote connection.

Best Answers

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

No.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

This is the main reason why my club isn’t using a flex as a remote club station.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Unfortunately, SmartLink only supports multiple users for one radio by sharing a single login/password. One solution is to use a VPN with a unique login/password for each user. Use the VPN to control a switch to turn the rig on and off. A Raspberry PI, Teensy 4.1 or Raspberry Pi Pico W are inexpensive devices that could be used for this purpose. I haven't thought this all the way through, but I believe that something along these lines would work.

If you or your club members don't have the experience to do something like this, there are several regular contributors to this community (including myself) who would be able and willing to help.

Not ideal, but perhaps a workable solution.

Answers

• jehill39
    jehill39 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Sorry to hear that the answer is no. Thanks for your input
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

At this time no.

However, that has not been an issue for a large number of clubs.

It is not different then when you handed out the keys to the station to people and everyone had access.

The benefits do seam to outway this limitation as it is a much easier implementation for each end user.

Mike

• Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    Options

This is a real Problem for Clubs.

When we bought ours in 2019, this was a ..surely, we will implement very soon... answer on the ham-radio booth, which lead to the decision to buy a flex .

When you have a user that you want to lock out for some reason , you must change the password for all users. When you have a request for a temporary usage...no way, this also influences all users.

When you use the radio for contesting you allways have an idiot who logs on and starts to fiddle around without looking who is online.

And there have already been thoughts in Germany that control BY USER shall be a requirement for legal usage of remote stations in future.

• jehill39
    jehill39 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for you input! Needless to say, I am very disappointed. We have been using the RCForb server/client software for several years now. It provides us with complete and total control over out users. Right now we are using a Kenwood TS-480/Elecraft KPA1500 combo, which works well EXCEPT that the CODEC included is not suitable for FT8 operation and an option for a Panadapter/Waterfall is not provided. This is understandable, considering that the RCForb server/client software is FREE! However, many users are familiar with these features and would like to see them included.
  • jehill39
    jehill39 Member ✭✭
    Options
    It appears that our best solution is to continue using the RCForb server/client software should we decide to replace our Kenwood TS-480 with say a Flex 6400. The server software includes a driver for a Flex SmartSDR radio. That way, login would continue to be via the client and users that desire to use the Panadapter/Waterfall could do so with screen sharing software such as TeamViewer.

Any thoughts?
  • W4AFK Bruno
    W4AFK Bruno Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

There are options. Our club setup a Layer 2 VPN and gave selective access to authorized members to our mountain top Flex 6400. Admin can still access the Flex via SmartLink but we went away from that for a couple of reasons:

• We don't want each member to install SmartSDR on their computers as we would become their "IT" support persons.
    • By using the VPN approach, we only need to manage one radio and one computer, plus we control who can access the radios (we also have OpenSDR receivers up there. One for now but setting up 8 more, which we have all that's needed).

If the link to the radio breaks, then it's in our court and not tied to FRS' validation server. We set up a high speed microwave link from the mountain top to the Internet gateway. If there is a heavy rain storm, the speed drops, but that's not very frequent here in SoCal (San Diego county).

• jehill39
    jehill39 Member ✭✭
    Options
    More food for thought. Thanks!
  • AA5NM
    AA5NM Member ✭✭
    Options

my brother and i live in separate cities, and i am getting old, i have settled my flex6400 physically on his desk in his office and he wants to put it to his PC there, so I have to consider, does he login smartlink using my name and password as i was doing here with my PC and the Flex; or, what?

two smartlink logins seems iffy?

one login for us both, me not physically at his operating PC with my FLEX on it?

i can see that i might exhaust all the what if scenarios but is there a commonly accepable way?

he may buy a second flex later but it would go on his account only

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

If your brother is at the same location as the radio, he does not need SmartLink. He would just start SmartSDR and connect directly (no login). From your remote location, you would still need to log in using SmartLink.

If you are both remote from the radio, then you would both share the same SmartLink account (same user name and password).

• Steven M. Simons
    Options
    GM - de: Steve W1SMS I have a question (or verification) regarding the use of SmartLink and multiple users. I own two 6400 radios with up-to-date v3 HW with both radios connected to the same LAN. Question/verification #1 - do I understand correctly that there can be only one SmartLink account email address/PW assigned to a specific radio? Question #2 - As I own two 6400 radios - can I create a 2nd SmartLink account with a different email/PW to enable a 2nd remote login to the 2nd radio? Question #3 - is there a way to lock out a remote user? Thanks in advance for all comments.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

You can have multiple radios on the same SL login. We do this all the time in the office.

Or, you can do option 2 as well.

• Steven M. Simons
    Options
    Mike, thanks for the insight. Regarding question #3 - shall I take no reply as this cannot be done? Another question; if I set up a 2nd SL using a different email address & pw, will both instances of SL display the 2 radios ?
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Options

Sorry, I missed that.

The only way to lock him out is to change the password.

No. You can have multiple radios on a single SL account, but not multiple SL accounts on 1 radio.

I think I understood the question correctly.

• Steven M. Simons
    Options
    OK - understood and thanks again for the discussion. de:W1SMS

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.