Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smart SDR Shuts down.

Options

Hello sometimes when I key up on my radio my SMART SDR quits for no apparent reason. My SWR are 2.1 and bellow.

Thank you.

Best Answer

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

It is a freeware program developed by a Flex user. It does many things well. And provides features missing in SmartSDR.

https://www.mkcmsoftware.com/Flex/Index

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

This often happens when the radio voltage dips to a too low level or RF getting into the power supply.

The simple test is to try it at 1 watt RF out and if it works, increase it until it fails.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Monitor supply voltage using either. FRStack or K9DUR monitor.

• Manfred
    Manfred Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I never experienced it before. Voltage is good a HF is well blocked.

73 Manfred
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Mike & John...

If SmartSDR quits (on the PC I assume) how can the voltage to the radio be revelant?

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If SmartSDR loses connection with the radio, for example the transmit power required drops the voltage bellow below the minimum SmartSDR will quit. I’m not telling how I know.

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

Well I sure hope the the Powerwerx SS-30DV , 30 amp , 25 amp continuous that was given to me when I bought my Flex 6400 is enough power (amps) to run this radio. Because that is what I am using. And my Antenna (An Alpha Delta DX LB Plus antenna) is on the other side of the house with 95 feet of RG-8X coax with a 1 to 1 bauln. (RF Choke) at the antenna feed point. So I hope it is not underpowered or RFI.

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Sometimes a low voltage to the radio can occur because of a poor connection that introduces resistance that can cause low enough voltage on transmit to cause the radio to shutdown. The easiest way to check it is with FRStack. It can monitor the voltage at the Powerpole connection on the rear of the radio. Or you can use a VOM if you have one.

James

WD5GWY

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

Tell me more about FRStack I never heard of this. Is this hardware or software ?

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

FRStack is a free download. In Addition to allowing acces to voltage levels inside the radio, it has a very versatile, sophisticated memory system, storing many more items than the flex does. It also serves as a spots collector, and several other features. I don’t operate without it.

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

Where do I monitor power levels with FRStack ? Another app I was told to get is Slicemaster.

Thank you.

• WD0AJG
    WD0AJG Member
    Options
    I have the similar problem but here is more info. In my case not a power issues, monitoring power , new 35m ps and all is working fine. But, the big but... it is only happening on the PC version of SmartSDR. I bring it up and it runs for a while then just dumps. I deleted the new version of SDR and reloaded it and still the same, although not as bad this afternoon as this morning. so I bring out my older Maestro. update it, hook it up link to radio and it runs fine. PC dumps sdr but maestro is still running - same radio but of course one on A and one on B (radio is 6400 ). So both contacts to radio are from same IP, same smartlink account, etc. Guess I need to use the maestro for now? or the computer at the radio site. I can teamviewer to it and it works fine - so far.
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

What version are you running? You should be on 3.5.9 if you have a V 3 license or 2.10.1 if you have a V 2 license.

If you are already on one of the newest versions, does this happen while receiving or only when transmitting?

• WD0AJG
    WD0AJG Member
    Options
    additional - pc is windows 10 no other real issues (except for normal windows things).
  • WD0AJG
    WD0AJG Member
    Options
    additional - happens during RX, TX not tried yet. voltage is stable so not voltage problem - odd it is only on PC version through smartsdr server. pc at radio end via teamviewer does not have same issue. The maestro here ran 6 hours with out drop but the pc version continually shut down saying "lost connection". I didin't really have that problem on previous version just since 3.5.9.
    I also watch my latency and normally it runs +/- 35 ms with surges to ? 900. occasional it jumps higher (**** isp on this end I am thinking). ISP at radio end is fiber to house 1 gig up and down with latency to their point of 1 to 2ms.
  • WD0AJG
    WD0AJG Member
    Options
    Today the pc seems to have leveled out - had it loose when I attempted to set a TNF but so far that seems to be the only problem.
  • Scott-ka0jwc
    Scott-ka0jwc Member ✭✭
    Options

This is happening to me also. Windows 10 on PC. Just in recieve mode, it will up and quit randomly.

When I let it run overnight, monitoring FT 8 or WSPR. Ill check it in the morning only to find that it had quit sometime over night

Running 2.10.1

Don't remember this happening before when just running 2.10

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.