Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Suggestion for Windows Smart SDR \ Smart Link

Options
Hello Flex Radio Folk,

I understand you are in an emergency mode at the moment trying to fix the current Smart Link outage.

I am, and I am sure others are appreciative of your efforts! It does need to be said; however, that this is not the first time such an outage has occurred.

To improve remote user reliability in the future, please consider adopting the approach that Marcus Roskosch implemented in his iOS and MAC OS version of Smart SDR, whereby you can specify a Fixed IP address of a Flex Radio at your remote site and connect to it over a VPN.

VPN's are just so easy to establish these days and are secure and very reliable.

I am sitting here in my shack, listening to my FLEX 6700 located some 40 miles away from me on my iPad, whilst not having to rely on Smart Link.

73 and good luck in fixing the issue.

Steve VK5SFA

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Hi Steve

There is a reason that we use FlexRadio SmartLink and its TLS secure connection:

1. **Security**: Encrypts data.

2. **Privacy**: Prevents eavesdropping.

3. **Integrity**: Ensures data isn't tampered.

4. **Authentication**: Verifies identities.

5. **Standards**: Complies with security standards.

6. **Trust**: Builds user confidence.

7. **Protection**: Guards against intrusion.

Establishing a basic IP/DNS address could potentially expose the radio system to security vulnerabilities, making it susceptible to attacks from external sources. These attacks might include unauthorized access attempts, data breaches, or even manipulation of the radio's settings, posing significant risks to both the device and the network it's connected to. In contrast, the TLS (Transport Layer Security) encryption used in SmartLink ensures a secure and authenticated connection, safeguarding the radio's integrity and preventing malicious intrusion. This enhanced security is vital to protect sensitive information and maintain the system's reliability and stability.

Yet, numerous secure VPN-based alternatives, like SoftEther, are thoroughly discussed within the FlexRadio community, providing readily available options to complement SmartLink. Many do this already today.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Steve, I implemented SoftEther for use with my TeensyMaestro (note that I am not a networking expert...). In the event of a SmartLink outage, it is a good back up method for connecting remotely. It does require a computer at the radio end, but I do that anyway to accommodate my amp and tuner control program as well as my antenna rotator. I have a picture of my remote setup on my QRZ page.

• John K3MA
    John K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

Mike you have done a terrific job in the past with your instructional videos to allow users to get the most out of their Flex radio system. Might I suggest that you consider making a couple more that show step by step how to setup an alternative VPN system to bypass Smartlink when an outage occurs both for Mac and Windows users. Or if you have already done so in a comprehensive manner that anyone could follow that you provide some direct link to those.

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I am starting to lean towards ZeroTier. My plan would be to install it on the MacMini which resides in the radio shack location. I operate exclusively with MacOS / iOS client types. And I operate Remote 95% of time. Need to provide a means to bypass SmartLink as I need improved uptime reliability.

• Steve Adler
    Options
    Hi Mike,

Good to see Smartlink working again! Well done to the team for so diligently working through the issue.

I don't disagree with anything you said however; a reputable VPN does all the things you mentioned and more.

All I am suggesting is to incorporate the ability to allow SmartSDR for Windows to point to a particular fixed IP address of a radio or use Smartlink, which is exactly what the iOS and MAC OS versions of SmartSDR do.

This then gives the user of their remote system a choice, and a back door if there are Smartlink availability issues in the future.

I understand completely that what I am suggesting here is not a trivial exercise, and would probably involve a re-write of SmartSDR for Windows, which carries risk.

Personally, I believe it would make the Flex ecosystem much better. (It really is a Windows world when it comes to Amateur Radio, and I will continue to use Smartlink)

Anyway, I will not labor the point any further.

For those that are interested, I use an ASUS RT-AX92U router that is optimized for gaming / streaming.

It is a fully featured router with an excellent graphical user interface and is very easy to configure.

Most importantly, it has inbuilt PPTP VPN Server, IPSecVPN Server, Open VPN Server and Wireguard VPN Server available to the owner of the router, free of charge. Open VPN and WireGuard are becoming the de facto industry standards for Virtual Private Networks.

You will need a fixed public IP address or Dynamic DNS to utilize this functionality.

I use Open VPN. All you do is create a certificate, export the certificate and then import that certificate into an Open VPN client on either a Windows PC, a MAC PC, an iPhone or an iPad.

Run the client, log in and you will be instantly able to access any IP address on the remote sub-net.

It just works flawlessly!

Lastly, the router has excellent Quality of Service capabilities and an excellent dashboard to allow you see exactly which device is accessing the LAN / WAN and how much bandwidth it is using at any instant in time. Very handy when you are chasing latency or packet loss issues!

I was so impressed with the router, I purchased another one for my home QTH.

73 Steve VK5SFA

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.