Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex and Starlink Without Remote Ops

Options

I live in a rural area. The only ISP choice that I have is a local broadband company. Lately, they've been down more than they're up. Everyone here who can afford it and who needs reliable Internet service is switching to Starlink.

I've read the discussions about Starlink and SmartLink. If I am not using remote ops or a Maestro, should I expect any issues using Starlink?

Steve, W6SDM

Comments

• AA1SS
    AA1SS Member ✭✭
    Options

I have has ours for 2 weeks now and it works great. No ussues whatsoever. Currently getting 120 mbps down and 25 mbps upload. Stream several TV's with it and only an occasional hiccup for maybe a second.

• Mark Aaker K6UFO
    Options

Matching my experience, a review (in fulfillingtravel.com for RV users) in August stated:

--

Starlink Obstructions

To maintain strong Starlink internet service, your dish must have a clear view of the sky and be free of obstructions. ... Depending on how bad the obstructions are, service may be interrupted every minute or once a day. Typically interruptions will not last more than 15-20 seconds, with most lasting only about 2 seconds.

--

While interruption is fine for getting email, visiting websites, etc. It will cause you to lose connection if using starliink to reach your radio or station equipment.

Mark K6UFO

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Steve, If you have a reliable switch or router, then you should have no problems operating locally. Internet access is only required for radio updates and things like DX spots and QRZ look-ups. You can even run the radio in "link-local" mode by plugging the computer directly into the radio (this is how I operate during Field Day).

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the info. I am getting ready to take the plunge and order Starlink. I live in a very rural area and there aren't many choices for Internet providers. I wanted to make sure that Starlink wasn't overly susceptible to RFI.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

As you are not using any Remoting to YOUR radio, you will not have any SmartSDR / Operational issues.

Make the jump to StarLink.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.