Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is there a way to receive notification of a SW update to SSDR Windows & iOS

Options

... without continuously checking the website(s) or discovering my signature Flexradio is no longer running the firmware?

Answers

• Jim  KJ3P
    Jim KJ3P Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The (monthly?) Flex Insider newsletter usually contains this information (link below might work?). But yes, I agree that a specific email to Flex owners would be handy.

--jim KJ3P

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    Options

What would be nice is if when starting the SmartSDR or the radio a flag or notice indicating a newer version is available.

Bill W9JJB

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

When I power up my 6600M, it goes to the select-a-version screen if an update is available.

• fpmacko
    fpmacko Member ✭✭
    Options

I thought Tim always posts new update availability for SSDR/windows right here in the SSDR forum? Or am I imagining things again?

SSDR/iOS updates will download automagically from the apple store if you have automatic app updates enabled.

73.....Frank / WA3NHK

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Also, in my experience Marcus includes an advisory notice with SSDR/iOS updates.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Make sure you are subscribed to the Flex Insider

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    Options

Mike,

I am subscribed, but did not notice the most recent announcement until reading in this thread that SW updates are listed there and then I went back to the last issue to find it. Software updates affect all Flexradio owners, not a subset of user base.

The last couple of updates, I was unaware that the radio was going to go offline until I wanted to use it during some event that was in-progress. Until launching Windws SSDR, it appeared to be fine. But it takes awhile for me to do the update with the reboot, disable virus program, export profiles, potential uninstall, install, cold boot, and import profiles, including the wait periods for the radio processor. I update 2 PCs.

I suspect the radio going offline may have something to do with the iOS SSDR updating automatically and the Windows SSDR not, so there might have been version conflict. The radio went offline after I had not done the last 2 updates. My keeping the radio powered up and my alternating between Windows SSDR and iOS SSDR also may be contributing factors.

Something that would help to know to update the Windows SSDR would be appreciated.

Doug

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hi Doug

Generally, you can update a radio in less then 3 or 4 minutes. I do it all the time without all the steps you outlined. Yes, a cold reboot isn't a bad idea, but the radio isn't that fragile that you mess it up.

The only 'gotcha' is if you down grade, then you must do a factory reset on the radio after the downgrade.

I can't see the radio going offline due to an iOS update. Changing between Windows and iOS does not require a radio reboot at all. Many of us swap back and forth all day long.

I understand that you're encountering challenges, and I want to help address them. It seems like it would be beneficial to conduct a thorough analysis of your network configuration. Some of the concerns you've mentioned could be linked to network communication problems. It's possible that issues might be stemming from disruptions in communication via your network switch, instances of port instability, or even faulty cables. It's crucial to pinpoint the exact source of these problems in order to identify the root cause and find effective solutions.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.