Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Wireshark pack dissector or standalone packet formatter for the Flex API

Options
Roger
Roger Member ✭✭
edited August 2023 in SmartSDR API

I've done a bunch of googling and come up empty so it's time to ask the audience.

Has anyone written a Wireshark packet dissector or standalone packet formatter for the Fex API protocol?

I've been using Wireshark to sniff the Flex network but decoding each packet by hand is a very slow and tedious process especially when SmartSDR, a Flex 6000 series radio server, TGXL and PGXL are all involved in my project.

I have a couple of projects in mind that all call for following the frequency the Flex 6000 is on by equipment that's not currently able to be used on an Ethernet network with the Flex API. In one case I just need to disable the transmit interlock while an action is carried out in the transmit / receive path based on a frequency change. In the other case I need to place the PGXL into standby if it's active, set the Flex 6000 to its defined tune power level and transmit an AM carrier to carry out a tuning operation for an antenna.

Thanks in advance for any insights the Flex community can provide me.

73 and good DX,

de Roger, NK1I

Answers

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Rogor

Here is what I do to find Flex Commands using WireShark.

Run Wireshark, command the Flex Server from Smart SDR.

Filter by IP Source and Destination by right click on IP addresses of interest:

Then apply the IP Filter:

Right Click on a Flex TCP packet, then select Follow TCP Stream:

You can now see the Flex Packets, C are commands, and S are status packets:

Alan. WA9WUD

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.