Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Multi band IQ recording possible?

Options

Hi,

Not been able to find this here but I wonder if there is any easy way to record say 6 band 192Khz sections using flex gear eg 6700 onto an HD as an IQ recording. Other SDRs can do so using software such as CWSL https://github.com/HrochL/CWSL but Flex is not supported, can I do so using TCP commands or anything other suggestions?

Thanks for reading

73s

Marios

5B4WN/G0WWW

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Good question. I created a support ticket for you.

• Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I was wondering about this also. I would like to record the IQ data over desired bandwidth and play back signals captured for analysis . This is possible in software like SDR-Console byt apparently still not a capability when using SmartSDR.

Andy K3UK.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

Andy, you should be able to record the IQ stream with some sort of software. I have never played with it, so I can't offer much more than that.

Possibly others can provide input.

• K1FR
    K1FR Member ✭✭
    Options

Several of us on this community have written code to record the IQ streams. Some have written stuff in C++, and mine is in Python. I have been able to record both the UDP VITA-49 and the WSS streams. That said, my recordings have only been useful for playing around with post processing - also using Python routines.

Others have used GNURadio to process the IQ streams. That code is up on GitHub.

I do not know of any method to "play" my IQ recordings back to the radio. Would be a nice thing to have!

73, Tom

K1FR

• Roger
    Roger Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Tom,

Would you be able to provide links to the GitHub repositories you're referring to for GNU Radio code to read IQ streams?

73 and good DX,

de Roger, NK1I

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Tom, would you use an existing program like HDSDR to play back the recorded IQ stream? Might be worth a try...

• K1FR
    K1FR Member ✭✭
    Options

Roger:

Here is the GitHub link: https://github.com/AB4EJ-1/TangerineSDR-pi

And here is a link to a TAPR article that may help figure out how to get started: https://files.tapr.org/psr/psr148.pdf

73, Tom, K1FR

• K1FR
    K1FR Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi, Len. I have not used HDSDR at all. But, thanks for the lead - I will give it a try.

I am currently trying to get ready for the upcoming HamSCI eclipse events. That may fit right in.

73, Tom, K1fr

• KD0RC
    Options

Hi Tom, I just loaded HDSDR on my main laptop and easily got it working with the DAXIQ output of my 6400. I am now listening to 3 slices at once!

All I did to get it working was to set the input to HDSDR to the DAXIQ channel that I specified in the panadapter.

In your case, I think that you just specify the output of your IQ recorder as input to HDSDR.

• K1FR
    K1FR Member ✭✭
    Options

Many thanks, Len. That looks like a great option!!

• K1FR
    K1FR Member ✭✭
    Options

Len: Thanks once again. That worked great. I save my recordings as numpy COMPLEX64 arrays, and all I had to do was to reformat and run them through python's sounddevice.play() to see on HDSDR. Dead easy. This will allow me to use HDSDR as an easy way to look back through raw data and redo processing if I miss something in real time.

73, Tom, K1FR

• KD0RC
    Options

That is really cool Tom! Turning over-the-air signals into data provides nearly limitless possibilities. SDR has significantly changed how I look at radio...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.