Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Two Flex 6500s or One Flex 6600?

Options

I am currently running a Flex 6500 and would like to upgrade to a SO2R configuration. Could I do that by adding another 6500? Or do I need to upgrade to a 6600?

If it's possible to do accomplish SO2R either way, will I be limited somehow by using two 6500s?

Thanks!

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

The contest band filtering is significantly better in the 6600, so there is a distinct advantage from that perspective. You get better than 50 dB rejection of out of band signals with the 6600 compared to 35 ish dB with the 6500. Depending on power and antena proximity, this could mandate the 6600 in an SO2R situation.

I'm not sure what you would need to do to get a pair of 6500s to do SO2R, but the 6600 is ready right out of the box.

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Two 6500's would give you 8 slices, vs 4 on the 6600....

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

You want to use 1 6600 for SO2R for the following reasons:

• better band pass filters (65db)
    • OTRSP is included for immediate integration to N1MM or any other SO2R software (this is the audio handling
    • Much easier RF path management

Yes, you could do 2 6500's but the wiring and Rf plumbing would be more complicated than it needs to be and you would then need to double up on amplifiers, etc. The more you look into the entire implementation you will see that it really doesn't make sense.

With 1 6600 it is a plug and play as it can be.

• KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Options

I appreciate the insight from everyone. The 6600 looks like the way to go. I already have a TGXL and PGXL, so I might as well finish off the collection with a 6600.

KI5RLR

• John K3MA
    John K3MA Member ✭✭
    Options

Keep in mind the 6500 is a bit long in the tooth. Parts for potential future repairs will or have already become unavailable. A 6600 will provide a longer serviceable life.

I know because a year ago a friend had a 6700 that could not be repaired as the part was no longer available and it was not feasible to try to reengineer a circuit solution with a new generation part.

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

John - I've really enjoyed operating my 6700 for several years now. It's **** depressing to hear that certain parts are already no longer available for this model. I had assumed all 6700 parts would be available for at least a year or two. And sad that we haven't heard any word about a replacement for this 8-slice flagship transceiver.

Given the current production issues and the fact that the 6400 and 6600 models have already been out since 2017 (6 years), it makes me wonder how long it will be before these newer models are in the parts problem boat? It sure would be interesting to know if FRS has plans for new rigs on the drawing board? (Before Mike comments, yes - I know. They won't say. :)

Butch, KF4HR

• KI5RLR
    KI5RLR Member ✭✭
    Options

Given the current production issues and the fact that the 6400 and 6600 models have already been out since 2017 (6 years), it makes me wonder how long it will be before these newer models are in the parts problem boat?

This is my main concern as well. I hate the idea of owning something that expensive and sophisticated, yet parts are unavailable so soon after production ends.

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    Options

"This is my main concern as well. I hate the idea of owning something that expensive and sophisticated, yet parts are unavailable so soon after production ends."

While I understand FRS's rational for not releasing information on future products or future software enhancements, this is a double-edged sword. I'm crossing my fingers we at least get a "hint" FRS has new amateur transceiver products on their drawing board. Currently based on zero future insight, watching older products being discontinued, and production delays with newer products, I'm on the fence whether to stick with Flex.

Butch, KF4HR

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

And yet, switching away from Flex is unthinkable -- at least for me. No other radio works like a Flex. I have an Icom IC-705 which I keep as an emergency-powered radio. Operating it is, as compared to the Flex, an exercise in total frustration. Even though it has a spectrum display, that is handled crudely and inflexibly. Other brands are all too similar.

The genius of SmartSDR and the Flex radios is simply unmatched in the current market.

73, Craig KØCF

• Butch
    Butch Member ✭✭✭
    Options

... simply unmatched in the current market.

I've been experimenting with the ANAN 7000MkIII and Thetis software. Very similar to Flex, with additional enhancements.

KF4HR

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.