Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smart SDR on multiple PC/Macs

Options
Hello I wish to install the Smart SDR on my Windows desktop PC and IMAC then IOS (Apple Iphone 14 Pro) Do I need to buy additional licenses for this ?

Thank you.

Best Answers

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

hi... no, the licence (from Flex) is associated with the radio, not the PC so you can install SmartSDR on as many PCs as you like.

As for the MAC version, I'm not as sure about that. You'd have to check with the licensing agreement through the Apple store.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I have made thousands of FT8 QSOs with my MacBook Air and 6600M. What “virtual audio cable program” am I supposed to have used?

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

I think it pertains to using WSJT-X or JTDX. I use Loopback. Also any other third party digital programs.

You are correct the internal programs do not require the virtual audio cable program. But I like MacLoggerDX, JTBridge and either WSJT-X, or JTDX.. More functionality.

Start with the internal tools on SmartSDR for MAC, then expand if you want.

73 Dave wo2x

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Answer ✓
    Options

You want SmartSDR from the Apple Store.

When you want to run remote from the iPhone you will be prompted to disconnect the other client (SmartSDR on home PC). If you have version 3 or newer software in the radio, it will allow you to have both clients connected at the same time, although unless you have a need to do that, I would recommend just disconnecting the other client.

Dave wo2x

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

smartsdr version 3.xx provides Multiflex. Multi flex allows multiple (2) simultaneous connections connections, e.g. pc and iOS device at the same time. On an M model, the front panel uses one of the connections, leaving one for another device. Version 2.xx does not support Multiflex. This is covered in the Flex manual.

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

@KG5PTE the software for MAC and IOS is written by a third party, not Flex. There is a one time coat for each. The MAC version includes a bunch of tools including built in FT8. But it requires you to have a virtual audio cable program on the MAC. For that, there are free and paid programs.

The IOS version has several ads on tools such as DX Cluster, external controller interfaces (FLIC button, Power Mate knob, MIDI controllers), and Fat8 support for iPad and MAX size iPhones (12 MAX or newer). There is a nominal charge for each of the add ons.

You can download the SmartSDR for IOS for free and it will run in demo mode so you can get a feel how it works. You would need to purchase it to use with your radio.

Dave wo2x

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

I think one day you may see Flex radio and Apple working close together.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

For the IOS/(IPad?) devices, there is just one purchase and any device on the same apple account can use the product.

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

Can I leave the Flex 6400 and Smart SDR running on my PC at home. Turn the monitor. Go to work and still use my Iphone to talk into my Flex ? I also noticed that the Apple IOS store has two apps listed for the Flex which one should I use ? I am attaching a screen shot.

Thank you

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

@KG5PTE

Yes, you can. No issues at all.

One app is for iOS and the other app is for MAC OS (laptops, etc).

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

I just purchased the Smart SDR version for my IMAC I love it.

Thanks.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.