Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smart SDR (Flex 6400 Shutdown)

Options

Hello like most PC or Macs their is a proper shut down procedure. So the way I power up my Flex 6400 is to turn on the APC (Schneider electric) UPS. Then turn on the Powerwerx 30 amp power supply. Then turn the Flex 6400 on and wait a few minutes then launch the Smart SDR program on my HP PV desktop (Win-10) or Dell Laptop (Win-11) The way I shut down is to close the smart SDR program then press the power button on the FLEX 6400. I did search for power on power off procedures in the Smart SDR and Flex 6400 hardware PDF manuals. But could not find anything. So is there a procedure or checklist for shut down? I was warned about power up or powering down the Flex 6400 using the power switch on the power supply and not to do that.

Thank you.

Best Answer

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

There is no defined way to power up things.

It is really your choice on starting the PC first or the radio first. Or, you can just turn it all on at the same time.

Thanks to the way the radio advertises itself on the LAN network, it isn't critical. That is why there is no written documentation on it.

Some of us just turn on the 'big red switch' and it then starts to work. :)

Even pulling the DC plug won't hurt the radio or the SD card. We write very little information to SD cards. Yes, they can become corrupted if you are writing information to the SD card when the power is pulled.

Answers

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is the procedure I use and it works well.

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Options

I notice on the MAC OS version there is a disconnect button. I did not notice this on the IOS or MS Windows version. But the bottom line is I close smart SDR down first. Then power the radio off then about two minutes latter power off the power supply. Then shut off the APC UPS. If necessary. Again I want to be careful not to corrupt the radio. Just like turning off a computer without going through the proper shut down procedures. I guess this is the old Air Force crew chief coming out with me following the Technical order for applying electrical power or removing electrical power on the B-52G and F-15 Eagles I worked on when I was active duty. I am a big fan of "Attention to detail".

Thanks.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.