Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

multiple antennae

Options
normancyyj
normancyyj Member ✭✭

I have three wire antennae that operate on the same frequency with each producing lobes in different directions. Antenna A is on TX1/RX1. I would like to be able to select antenna B or C on TX2/RX2. How can I do this from the Flex Radio 6600. I don't want to use an external manual A/B switch. I haven't had any success using the USB cable to switch relays.

Comments

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Flex sells the 4O3A 1x8 Antenna Genius. Easy integration to the Flex

Dave wo2x

• normancyyj
    normancyyj Member ✭✭
    Options

I don't think that will do what I want. I want to be able to have a QSO with several people on an evening net and switch antenna to be able to hear each of them clearly. I don't want to use a manual switch because I operate remotely and would like to just open the antenna select box and select different antenna on antenna 2. Using the USB cable doesn't work because it turns on all three antenna because they all meet the same criteria.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

You can use the Antenna Genius app remotely.

Dave wo2x

• normancyyj
    normancyyj Member ✭✭
    Options

I read the specs on the antenna genius. I don't see how I can select different antenna if they all have the same tx/rx frequency range. 1.8mhz to 30mhz. In my situation I have three wire antennae, each coupled to a remote antenna tuner (SGC230). How can I select one of the three on antenna port 2.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

To connect antenna b or c from the tx/rx on the 6600 the desired antenna must be connected to ant 2. The radio does not have facilities for 3 antennas connected simultaneously.

• normancyyj
    normancyyj Member ✭✭
    Options

Right now I have six antenna hooked to the radio all on ANT 2 and the radio selects automatically the proper antenna for the frequency that I am operating on with no problem. What I want to do is to manually select which antenna on ANT 2 that I want to transmit on from the ANT select box. I figure that I should be able to select RXA, RXB or XTRA to select the antenna from the antenna relay box.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

With the Antenna Genius you CAN switch to any antenna's that YOU have setup that will work on the band you run with the Antenna Genius with the accompanying APP on the fly and do it remotely as WO2X said if you need to.

As shown in this Pictures ANY of the shown Antenna's work on 40 meters and can be selected because I have the switch configured to do so.

• normancyyj
    normancyyj Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for that Bret. I will seriously look into that.

• normancyyj
    normancyyj Member ✭✭
    Options

Is the control for the antenna controller operated within the Flex Smartsdr or in a separate windows program? Thanks for your help.

• Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭
    Options

Here is another idea:

I choose to use the Swedish Microbit AS-1289 antenna switch:

I use this in the manner you describe: separate from my Flex, and I only need a simple browser to click-select. However, I seem to use this less than you will (maybe 2x per week in my case), for your various net-participants - I use it ~backwards~ to select which radio I want to use with my multi-band HexBeam.

Just another idea to consider. I had to purchase this from Linmared Radio, and the transaction went perfectly.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

NO the Antenna Genius APP is a stand alone APP and does not need the Flex to be a workable switch and really right now there is NO way to control it from within SmartSDR it does follow the FLEX SmartSDR Radio's however over the Ethernet API for Frequency and if the radio is still in operation or not.

You can easily set it up for manual switching using the APP for use with other radio's OR Node-RED.

Here is a picture of my Node-RED Control Panel for the Antenna Genius Antenna Switch, which you can connect to with a WEB Browser, You will Notice the Grayed out Antenna's that aren't available for 40 Meters and the 2nd Radio port because it is turned off. You can also have two radios active you can have them on different Antenna's the Switch WILL NOT allow the same Antenna ports to be used for the 2nd Radio until you switch Radio 1 to another port then you can go to the now Un-used Antenna Port.

My Node-RED Flow has a Power button to turn off the Switch if needed using a remote Relay switch, and a Ethernet PING LED to see when it is powered off/on.

• normancyyj
    normancyyj Member ✭✭
    Options

I am controlling my antenna switch box with the Flex and also via wifi. Just trying to keep things simpler and not so expensive. The USB cable is great at selecting various antennae for different frequencies and then I am splitting one of the antenna ports into another box to select which of the three on ANT 2 I want to use. In the process I have found a bug in the Flex Radio USB control and they are researching it in the software department.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited May 2023
    Options

I have 2 40M antennas on a 4O3A Antenna Genius now. With the windows app, I can switch antennas very quickly. It will do what you want.

You can see from the configuration tool you can do pretty much anything. I use my 40M and 60M antenna on 30M when I need to.

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Antenna Genius switching is not yet integrated into Windows version of SSDR.

• normancyyj
    normancyyj Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks all for your input. If and when Flex Radio get the glitch out of the USB cable control I believe all will be good for me. I am using a lot of wifi switching for my remote set up. I am even using the USB cable to control my rotator.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    Options

What Glitch are you referring to? If it is based on your original comment, there are no plans at this time to address multiple antenna choices on the same band within SmartSDR.

I think you are one of the first to actually ask for it. If this is the case, I would recommend you add your idea to the "new ideas" section of the Community so other can upvote it if they wish to use it as well.

• normancyyj
    normancyyj Member ✭✭
    Options

The glitch was verified by Ken. He was able to replicate it there and was going to submit a report to the software people.

• normancyyj
    normancyyj Member ✭✭
    Options

The glitch was nothing to do with switching antennae but it did show up with what I was trying to do. All functions in the USB cable work fine in Slice A but what I was doing could not be replicated in any other Slice.

• normancyyj
    normancyyj Member ✭✭
    Options

I have now written to the help desk 3 times and also opened a new help desk request and not received any answers. Is Flex Radio closed and on holidays? Usually I get a response within hours. I did get an automatic response that they got it.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Options

They were closed for the weekend and we were down 1 person all last week for a personal issue.

I can't check for you as I don't know your callsign, so I can't go look it up.

Did you check your spam folder? As far as I know they are pretty up to date on new tickets by EOB today.

• normancyyj
    normancyyj Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the answer Mike. They did get back to me and I didn't realize that the guys were at the Dayton Hamfest. Not in the trash or spam box. Lost in that great empty void I guess. I have had that happen before. Ken explained to me the process of how the guys deal with software issues, so no problem here with that.

Call sign is VE7SAY.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.