Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6700 for Multi/Single

K1ESE
K1ESE Member ✭✭✭

Another fellow and I contest together remotely using a friend's station. Our category is Multi/Single.  

In the past, we have done it "tag team" style where we take turns and are not operating at the same time. Instead, we would like to have one operator calling CQ while the other is working multipliers using MultiFlex.

Here's the setup - Flex 6700, TGXL (SO2R), PGXL, Antenna Genius. We have multiple antennas for 20 meters and up, two antennas for 40 meters, and one antenna for 80 and 160.

I would welcome suggestions on these topics -

External bandpass filters?

Timing and sequencing? (We currently set the Settings> Radio Setup> TX> TX Delay at 33ms with all other delays at zero.)

Communications between operators when the multiplier operator wants to interrupt the CQing operator.

Antenna Genius setup?

Other issues?

Thanks and 73,

John K1ESE

Best Answers

• Ian
    Ian Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi John ... I run a full SO2R setup (6600, PGXL, TGXL, AGXL) in a very tight suburban lot. Running low power on contest bands I have no problem with interstation interference. However with the amp on I do get some inter -band inference and depending on the band combinations I do get LOTS!!. I have had to use bandpass filters and I am still working through a complete solution. The Flex RX display slice will show how much interference it sees and it actually screams at you in RED if its too much. I would suggest you do a lot of testing on the different band and band combinations to see what is happening in your setup. Start with a lower power and increase power to your maximum amount. I would suggest using a chart to track what you see and you should also check on the different modes and mode combinations if you do that. The chart is handy when something changes you have a reference to go back and look what the heck changed (when I get ice on the antennas this magically changes 😎  ).

The AG will not allow you to be on the same band or same antenna combination ... so this works well

hope this helps ...

GL / 73 Ian VE3JI

• Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I also have blown the front end protection by antenna proximity to my other 6700 and amp. My 5000's took it all the time, but the protection in the 6700 must be more sensitive. I now use DX engineering front end protectors (can't remember the model number), but they have to be roofed by BCB filters because they generate BCB intermod on the low bands.

Bill AB7AA

Answers

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

I don’t think you can transmit simultaneously on two frequencies.

• K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭

True. How does that impact the other questions?

• K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭

Ian -

Thanks for the advice. The filters are ordered. We're still trying to figure out communication between the remote operators.

John K1ESE

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Hi John

There are 30db band pass filters in the 6700 already in case you are not aware. The 6600 has over 55db band pass filters.

We have many SO2R stations running without any additional filters. You might want to give it a try.

This is my setup with a 40M V 4ft under my Steppir on 20M on a 6600 with a PGXL in place. No external filters.

https://youtu.be/7D33JMznyoA

Mike

• K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭

Mike -

Thanks for the info. This radio has already been returned to Flex once due to front-end overload. We would rather be safe than sorry.

The situation was Flex 6700 on one tower with the beam pointed at a Flex 6300 on another tower 100 yards away or more that was transmitting 1KW CW with the beam off to the side. The 6700 was overloaded and the front end toasted. Guess the 30db wasn't enough.

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Wow, you would be one of the first that I know of since the radio does clamp/short the input if the RF voltage is starting to get to more than the ADC can support.

My guess is that something else destroyed the ADC protection first, such as an EMP event (lightning, rain, wind or snow static) and then the 6300 finished the job.

However, there is no issue with belt and suspenders fixes! good luck

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.