Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

StarLink Commercial, My Experience

Alan
Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

There has been a lot of discussion about using StarLink Internet with Flex SmartLink. SmartLink was not usable because of the double NAT and Carrier Grade IP address.

Until, StartLink introduced StarLink Commercial, with an optional Public IP address. Here is my experience so far; all good, with some learning, when using SmartLink.

Here is the StarLink dashboard, where you can select the Public IP address option:

I found that Flex SmartLink works very well with this configuration. I typically see internet latency time of 30ms and a Flex Radio latency of 50ms. Commercial gets StarLink priority, so it has been very stable.

Here are a set of charts showing performance over seven days:

One crucial finding/problem. The StarLink antenna is susceptible to RF. I initially had my StarLink dish mounted near/under my SteppIR Yagi antenna. At even low power levels, I found that when I transmitted on 20M, the StarLink would lose its connection. No amount of ferrets would solve the problem. StarLink Technical Support said they could see my dish was locking itself out from a "high temperature" condition.

So....I moved the StarLink dish away, like 200 feet, from all my ham radio antennas, and the problem was solved.

You must use the "advance" StartLink hardware package, with an initial cost of $2,500. Not so good.

StarLink now has multiple available "use" packages with the advanced hardware package, and I have selected the 1GB, $250 per month plan. You can change your plans from your web-based support portal.

Alan WA9WUD

Comments

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin

Thanks Alan

Please keep us informed of any further updates.

• widowsson_N6ATC
    widowsson_N6ATC Member ✭✭
    Alan:

Did Starlink indicate that they might be addressing the "locking itself out from a "high temperature" condition" that is plaguing us on 20M? I am having the same problem and I cannot move my Starlink antenna because of trees. It's in the only place on my property that has a clear sky view.
  • Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

No, StarLink did not address RF interference with their satellite dish. To be fair, I never disclosed I was a ham radio operator.

Alan

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭

I would like to potentially use StarLink mobile in an RV context when traveling. RV would be parked stationary in campground or off-grid site. Would this be possible? practical? Thank you.

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Dan

You should ask StarLink, but I do not believe you can get a static IP with the RV plan...so, no Flex SmartLink

In that case, you could set up a VPN, if your home base does have a public VPN. Running Flex over VPN has different results for some, not StarLink specific. Search VPN on this board for more.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭

Hi Alan, How about Commercial Plan? Dan

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Dan

Looks like you can change your commercial service to "Mobile". I checked my StarLink service portal and here is the mobile option.

I suggest you check with StarLink, but I "assume", the public IP option remains available with the mobile service.

Alan

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.